Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dapper_gw

4x4 pole bean bed, how to make a trellis system

dapper
15 years ago

I am wanting to use a whole 4x4 bed for pole beans. How would ya'll make a trellis for the entire bed? Yeah I know EG is gone for a few days. This gives everyone a chance to submit your ideas before he takes over. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Whites Mill Farm

Comments (9)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I made a tepee for mine.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• dapper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny, you had 8 plants per sq/ft and planted the whole 4x4 bed and just put up one teepee? I also wasn't sure you could actually grow 8 per sq/ft. I tried 9 bush type per sq/ft last year and they didn't do any good. Hecknone of my beans did that good. I got one meal out of Dragon's Tongue and that was it. I ended up going to the marlet to buy beans to eat lst year.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

That's about the only way I could think of to grow pole beans throughout an entire bed rather justr on the north side.

And you can grow shade crops in the middle during the height of the summer like I believe Granny did.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

And you can make a tepee for free using pruned tree branches. When I used to do tree pruning, I'd keep the long, straight branches for trellising. Lashing is simple with branches, as the bark is friction and helps keep the line in place if your technique is lacking.

Dan

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Dapper, I placed an old ski pole in the center (because I had one that I was going to throw away), then I pounded stakes in a circle around the edge of the bed (about 1' in) and tied garden twine to them, which I then tied to the top of the pole. I planted the beans around each stake, probably around 4-6 seeds each, and they grew up the twine. I had to add an extension to the ski pole, it wasn't nearly long enough. While the beans were growing on the outside, I had lettuce growing on the inside (empty, shaded) area. I really don't care for or recommend this method, it's difficult to find/pick the beans that grow on the inside of the tepee. I'd stick to a single trellis if I were you, you could plant on both sides of it.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• dapper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a thought. Put either a 1x1 or 2x2 stakes on 2 sides of the bed. Name the Rows 1-4 so put stakes between 1 and 2, then another set of stakes between 3 and 4. Get the nylon trellis netting and string from one stake to the other, then another net on the other stakes. Rows 1 and 2 would grow up one trellis, rows 3 and 4 could grow up the other nylon net.

How tall would you all suggest making the stakes. I would also put cross members in for added support or put 4 stakes up instead of two and attach each nylon net to 4 posts. I am thinking 6' above the bed

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Dapper, here is probably the way I'd do it - but then again...I'm kinda weird! Ha!

EG

• dapper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EG, in the squares where you have the trellises placed, how are they built, I am thinking that those are some sort of post, with netting attached to them but I am not sure. Am I still planting in all squares, even the ones with the trellises in them. I know I am stupid, I don't get from your drawing how it is done.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

dapper, yes....you would still plant in the squares where the trellises are located. You have to disregard the text part......Anyway, you could use some kind of mesh, supported by posts. I feel that doing it this way will allow plenty of room for harvesting, sunlight penetration, as well as allow good ventilation.

EG

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH