Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcmarsh_gw

Seed germination...when to thin

mcmarsh
15 years ago

I'm new to gardening and this will be my first year.

I'm growing plants from seed and have been successful thus far. My question is, when do I cut back the seedlings to the strongest one. I planted 5-10 seeds per small peat pot as instructed and have many seedlings in each. Should I cut back all but one now...or later. Or, should I try to thin those and re-pot later on?

Hopefully this is coherent :)

Michelle

Comments (13)

• mcmarsh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I should add that the seeds sprouted about 2 days ago and they have been under lights ever since.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I would wait a bit before cutting the seedlings off. Give them time to show who is going to be the strongest, which will be the one to save. Some things transplant well, others don't. I'm not sure I would take the chance of losing all of them by disturbing the roots too much, especially if they are really close together. Unless they were planted in straight vermiculite...then you can just pluck them out and replant. In any case, I would definitely wait until they develop a set of true leaves.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• zuni
    15 years ago

I don't agree with Granny. Cut out (don't pull) all but one sprout as soon as possible. This will eliminate any competition and increase your chances of producing a strong seedling. Next time, use only 2 seeds per pot. There's no reason to put so many in to start.

• rlkennerly
    15 years ago

I have the same question. I direct seeded my green beans to my garden and they sprouted about a week ago. Is it time to thin them now? Here's a pic...

I'm sure the answer is yes, but I mostly just wanted to show off my green beans. :)

Rachel

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

Rachel,

Are these beans bush or pole? 9/sqft bush...8/sqft pole.

I've never done beans in sqft, but that seems like a bunch to me, but I wouldn't thin to only one plant...no less than 4 for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant spacing for beans...and other veggies in sqft garden

• rlkennerly
    14 years ago

They're bush - green bean contender. I divided the square into 9 sections and planted two beans per section. Who knew I'd have 100% germination. If only my sugar cream peas and black eyed peas had done so well....

I need to thin it by 1/2, but that still seems like it'll be a lot. Of course, I'm not a huge fan of green beans (as in I used to sneak them to my brother under the table when I was a kid), so if they don't put off much fruit, I won't be too distraught. :) My husband likes them, so I decided to plant them for him.

Thanks for the link, eagle!

Rachel

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

If you are concerned about them being too crowded, then instead of haveing 9, why not thin to 5/sqft. Keep the corners and the middle. More space around them (I always thought that bush beans didn't like to be crowded, but that pole beans wouldn't mind, because they grow UP not out!)

Anyway, with 5 bush bean plants you should have quite an ample harvest, especially if you don't like them! Plant a second square in a few weeks though, for your DH (speaking as a man, he will appreciate it), because the bushes will set their fruit all at once and then NOTHING! By the time he is done eating the first set (be sure to freeze or can the extras!) the next group will be ready. If you replant another set in the first square, you should get 3 good harvests before frost!

• rlkennerly
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice, eagle. I had planned on doing another square of them, but I wasn't sure how far apart to space the plantings. If I thin to 5, could I plant the four I remove in another square? I have enough empty squares to do a subsequent planting even if I fill another square with this squares "thinnings".

Rachel

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

I use the "five to a square" planting on a lot of the veggies...spinach, lettuce, etc. I agree with eaglesgarden, I think they like a bit more space than SFG allows.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I planted my bush beans 9/SF and I think they did fine, but I wouldn't expect to have enough to freeze from just one square.

Maybe this year I should test spacing to see if it makes much difference. I'm planting lots of beans...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• Melissa Houser
    14 years ago

Rachel, 8 or 9 to a square isn't overcrowded by SFG standards. I planted 2 squares each of green and black beans last year and, with diligent harvesting, got about 2 quarts of green beans and about one small pot worth of black beans.

The thing no one tells you is that your home grown veggies taste so much better than canned or frozen. I'm not a fan of processed green beans, but have to watch myself to not eat all of my green bean harvest right off the plant! :)

• rachel_kelly07_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I was wondering how close the seedlings have to be when you need to thin them? Not green beans, but any plant.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?