Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsntech

Seedling Lights?

bsntech
15 years ago

Hello all,

I've had quite a few of the seedlings sprout over the past week.

I started all of them in the 6-cubes (actually 9-cubes in the planter I have) and they had a plastic clear lid over the top. Once I began getting germination, I removed the lid and put them under some fluorescent lights.

Now - I have a question about the lights. I have two standard 4-foot fluorescent fixtures - that hold two bulbs each that I mounted on a little contraption that will hang them over the seedlings. I have one grow-lux bulb in the two and one standard bulb in each.

What does everyone else use for lighting - and what are your results? How close do you put them to your seedlings? The area where I have the lights doesn't get any direct sunlight - as it is a big window on the north side of the house - so the fluorescent light is all the seedlings get. The lights are about 2-3 inches above the seedlings.

The radishes and lettuce that have sprouted so far look pretty good, and are not very "tall". However, two broccoli that sprouted on Friday are very stalky almost like they are reaching for something. I've had this problem before with the broccoli, and maybe there just isn't enough light?

Comments (2)

Sponsored