Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling Lights?

Posted by bsntech 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 14, 09 at 22:39

Hello all,

I've had quite a few of the seedlings sprout over the past week.

I started all of them in the 6-cubes (actually 9-cubes in the planter I have) and they had a plastic clear lid over the top. Once I began getting germination, I removed the lid and put them under some fluorescent lights.

Now - I have a question about the lights. I have two standard 4-foot fluorescent fixtures - that hold two bulbs each that I mounted on a little contraption that will hang them over the seedlings. I have one grow-lux bulb in the two and one standard bulb in each.

What does everyone else use for lighting - and what are your results? How close do you put them to your seedlings? The area where I have the lights doesn't get any direct sunlight - as it is a big window on the north side of the house - so the fluorescent light is all the seedlings get. The lights are about 2-3 inches above the seedlings.

The radishes and lettuce that have sprouted so far look pretty good, and are not very "tall". However, two broccoli that sprouted on Friday are very stalky almost like they are reaching for something. I've had this problem before with the broccoli, and maybe there just isn't enough light?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling Lights?

I use one kitchen/bath and one daylight bulb. They span the spectrum nicely for cheap bulbs. The plants love them. I go 2-3 inches also.

Your broccoli is reaching for light. I have mine 1-2 inches above them. Mine seem fine with my setup this year. Nothing like the window sill last year, boy were they leggy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

o
RE: Seedling Lights?

Thanks Sinfonian.

Here is what mine look like. You can only see the standard bulbs here since the grow-lux bulbs are on the opposite sides:

These are the seedlings that have come up in a week. I planted three of each kind that will be in that manure mix - to see how well they come up. I guess they have come up (except for carrots, peppers, beans), but I still sent in the sample for a professional sampling. Don't want to waste a year because of pH - especially with all the work put in.

Anyways, here you can see the broccoli plants on the left side, the radishes (doing well), lettuce, and then in the back some cauliflower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here