Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_devito

SFG above and below retaining walls

Holly DeVito
15 years ago

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for about a month. It seems like I have read every post in the SFG forum.

I'm new to SFG and to growing vegetables at all. We have remodeled our house and this will be our second year that we have been working on it. It's been one project after the next, in between getting married and having a baby. Anyway. . .

I have a 7' high retaining wall and then a 8' space and then a 4' high retaining wall. I put my SFG in the 8' space. I have 3 3'x4' beds with 2 3'x1' in between them. They are right above the 7' retaining wall. I'm looking for plants to grow in the 1' beds that will hang over the wall.

I was thinking zucchini instead of trellising it. Would that work? Would I need something to support the zukes? The wall is cement, so I'm not sure if that would work. I was also thinking rosemary and thyme, but I think those will take a long time to grow.

Any ideas or thoughts on my layout would be great!

http://picasaweb.google.com/HollyDeVito777/PlantingBeds#

Here's the pictures.

Comments (13)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

holldoll - I really like how you have taken advantage of the available space! Kinda like gardening on a rooftop. If you wanted to plant a zucchini in the middle of that box, I think it would be ok. It has plenty of room to bush out, and the roots can run to both sides. However, you're gonna want to stabilize the plant somehow - to keep it from falling over later. (And it will, in the mel's mix.)Check out some of snibb's photos from previous threads, as he has no problems with trellising them.

EG

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will look at Snibbs pictures. I should have pointed out it's a southwest facing garden. North is the about where the wood retaining wall is. I think I need to move my tomatoes and peas to in front of that retaining wall (make my husband have another project). BTW, EG, I have read pretty much all of your blog too. My DH has loved it as well!

• lilion
    15 years ago

Cucumbers will definately hang down the wall. I grow mine on my front entry. I hope you are tall though, if you plan to harvest 7' above the ground. You might have problems getting to some of them. The pic I'm attaching is early spring, when blooms first started and they are space masters. You can use any cukes with the amount of space you have! It ought to look great!

I love where you put your garden. It's so inventive and attractive too. What a great use of space.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:9479}}

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

holldoll - thanks, I'm glad you and DH enjoyed my ramblings. Good luck!

EG

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! In Cali you have to take advantage of every inch of space you have. If I planted zucchinis and cukes in the ground already, can I transplant them? If so, when? My zukes have sprouted their seed leaves, but not their true leaves.

I want all my kitchen garden in this part of the yard, but I want something that will grow over the wall. What do you think of planting thyme and rosemary in the 3x1 boxes with a cucumber and squash this year, before the rosemary and thyme fill in?

BTW, does anyone else have trouble logging in from Firefox? I can only login from this computer, my other one doesn't let me???

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

holldoll - be very careful with the roots of those plants, because they don't like to be moved. Water the soil very well, then gently remove them. You should be fine.

EG

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm thinking if I take a big clump of the dirt with them and not actually touch the roots, would that work? If not, I'll replant the seeds, it will make me a little sad, but I'll cope.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I'd try it. I mean, that's all of gardening, right? Trying it. I'm with EG though, my understanding of those types of plants is that they don't like to be moved. I would suspect if you can get all the way around the roots without touching them, you'd be just fine.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

holldoll - take as much soil with it, and you'll be ok. I've moved alot around that way, and they were fine.

EG

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to move my zucchinis tomorrow. I decided I won't move the cucumbers, I will just plant some more seeds in the small boxes.

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

The pics were gone so you must have moved them but plants will grow or lean towards the south (the sun). With that in mind you should be able to determine IF anything will hang off the wall.

Your tallest plants should be located on the north side so as not to shade your other plants.

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

Ps. Cookies must be enabled to login. I always use Firefox. If it won't work with FF I don't go there ;-)

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The wall is facing southwest so it should be okay. I'm reposting the pictures. I'm hoping tomorrow DH can get the new boxes along the wood wall built so we can move the peas and tomatoes there.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden