Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
handh3842

Terminator seeds at the store?

handh3842
15 years ago

Do they put terminator seeds in those seed packets they sell to home gardeners? Also, if I buy vegetables at the store in order to get some seeds, how likely is it that they were grown from terminator seeds and produce seeds that will not grow?

Comments (4)

• someguyinmaine
    15 years ago

Not sure about other countries, but in the US, it is very illegal to sell genetically modified seeds or nursery stock to unlicensed people, and it is illegal to grow them as well. So no, they don't put terminator seeds in those seed packets. When seed catalogs claim that they don't sell these seeds, they make it sound as if it is a choice that they are making to benefit their customers. But they have no choice; it's just a sales gimmic.

But be aware that there are several hybrids that do not create viable seeds. These are not terminator seeds. The hybrid's parents were just only barely compatible and the mixed genes won't support another generation.

• lawncheney
    15 years ago

So if the seed sprouts, it should work? We bought some HUGE pumpkins last year and saved some seeds, we were going to try to plant a couple and see what we could do with them.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

we were going to try to plant a couple and see what we could do with them.

If the punkin was a hybrid, the seed may or may not come true. This is the case with all hybrids of all fruits and veggies.

-----

The terminator gene is only inserted in GMO seed. Unless you are purchasing this type of seed for some reason, there is zero to worry about at this point in time, esp if you are buying tomato, pepper, eggplant et al. seed.

Dan

• knittlin
    15 years ago

"Do they put terminator seeds in those seed packets they sell to home gardeners? Also, if I buy vegetables at the store in order to get some seeds, how likely is it that they were grown from terminator seeds and produce seeds that will not grow?"
    Genetic use restriction technology, aka the "terminator gene", isn't available commercially yet, so no, the terminator gene won't be in any seeds in seed packets or grocery store produce.

GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms ~ seeds and produce that have been genetically altered in a lab), of which the terminator seeds are one type, are a different story. GM seeds aren't sold to home gardeners, so as Dan said there's no need to worry about purchased seed packets. But there could be some sort of GM produce at the grocery store, so you could grow the seeds from grocery store produce and inadvertently have GMOs in your garden. And since there are no labeling laws, you won't know if they are or what kind.

However, again as Dan said and I agree, they're likely hybrids so the seed likely won't come true and be what you want it to be. So I'd avoid using those seeds anyway. There are exceptions to this, such as beans ~ I've had good success planting grocery store bought dried beans and they produced exactly what was in the bag I bought (btw, I haven't heard of any GM beans). But by and large, most commercially available produce, especially from grocery stores, are hybrids.

I've never heard that it's illegal to sell GM seeds without a license, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was such a law. SomeguyinMaine, do you have a link where I can read more? I do know that the companies who own and sell the seeds require a license for you to grow them, and that's why I think they don't sell to the home gardener ~ it's a lot of hassle to draw up, sign and then enforce a contract just to sell a $3 pack of seeds.

"When seed catalogs claim that they don't sell these seeds, they make it sound as if it is a choice that they are making to benefit their customers. But they have no choice; it's just a sales gimmic." I agree that seed companies who sell to home gardeners don't have a choice in selling them, but I don't think publishing that is a sales gimmick. Quite a few people wonder if any of the seeds available to them in catalogs are GMOs, as this thread and others like it in this forum can attest. I think the seed companies publish that in their catalogs to head off a barrage of phone calls and emails asking if any are GMOs more than for any type of sales gimmick.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus