Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing of Strawberries

Posted by homertherat UT (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 0:53

Hey, I'm planning on doing a 4x4 box just for strawberries. I was wondering if I should do just 1 per square or 4 per square. I want a lot of berries, so really I'm asking if 4 will survive in one square. They will be an everbearing variety if that matters. I don't want the runners to spread like crazy, and I heard everbearing varieties are better for that purpose.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing of Strawberries

Homer...I planted 4 per square, and I get a ton of strawberries. But, I do clip the runners to keep the energy in the main plant. I cant really say that I have had the original plants in there the whole time. They have all been replaced at some time or another with one of those runners. I think you can see what it looks like on my photobucket page...

o

Thanks snibb. What's the link to your photobucket? I'd like to take a look at them.

o

Homer..Im pretty sure its in there somewhere..take a look..

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm14/snobblet/

o

Wow, those are huge snibb! Mine never get that big... They don't get much attention, so that might be the problem.

I'm definitely trying that out this year.

o

We planted strawberry plants 4 per square earlier this year and plan on keeping the runners trimmed back. They're doing pretty good so far, but aren't nearly as nice and big as snibb's.

btw Your strawberries look great, snibb, so I'm gonna pick your brain. :) How do you keep them fed over the years? Surely the nutrients in the compost are tapped out eventually. Do you side dress them with new compost or fertilizer?

Does the chicken wire do a sufficient job of keeping the critters out? We've had a problem with something eating our strawberries and need to cover them.

Did you put straw in with your berries? We ended up doing that because the berries that touched the Mel's mix got all mushy and gross. Unfortunately we're having a problem with weeds now. I've also got quite a few leaves that have turned red. Any idea what might be causing that?

Thanks,

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here