Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jump-start

Posted by moxie_melon (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 1:23

Several months ago I started some of my tomatoes, cukes, and peppers inside in front of an expansive glass door, as well as numerous other veggies. I didn't expect anything to fruit, it was a project with my nieces. My light source is predominantly indirect (natural) with some indoor grow-lights, and the soil was unremarkable, and probably stressed some of the plants. I've never gardened...but something happened. My tomatoes shot up to five feet in 2 months,and the cherry tomatoes have countless green tomatoes and some that have ripened and that have been delicious. The cukes have been crazy productive, as slicers. The peppers are fruiting/flowering, although they are a bit leggy. (There have been other symptoms, every orchid has thrived, some up to 11 months with almost 20 blooms). If you are still reading, here is my question. Our SQF is now in place, with cages and a total fence, and Mel's mix because I took the concept too literally. Is it ridiculous to try to move out my mature plants, that are in flower and fruit? My squash, bush beans, onions, peas, and 4 squares of lettuce are thriving outside. I started a new group of seeds inside rather late, just in case, but I would love to have a freakishly early harvest first (this is the first week after frost in my zone).

Any advice will be noted for future non-existent prizes. I'm here for the season.

Katie, who has already harvested 30+ salads from indoor -lettuce, spiky cucumbers,and tiny 'maters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jump-start

Katie - Welcome to the forum. If your plants inside are pretty big, then I would think moving them outside would be tricky, and shocking to them. Quite often, transplants can be stunted for a couple of weeks, after being exposed to their new environment. Anything in the cucurbit family doesn't like their roots disturbed, so I'd be reluctant to move them - if flowering. Bravo on your harvests from the veggies grown indoors!

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's Garden Blog

o
RE: Jump-start

You could take suckers off of the tomatoes and root them outside. they'll be big productive plants in no time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here