Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Site selection for winter squash---two choices

kristimama
15 years ago

Hi all,

This question isn't so much how to grow using SFG (though if any of you have trellised either of these, it would be helpful to hear from you.)

My bigger question is just overall about how to *grow* winter squash, period. Do some varieties require more or less hours of sun? SFG has me so excited about growing in general that am eager to try lots of different things.

Here's my situation:

I have 2 spots in my garden that I want to use for 2 different kinds of squash: Compact Bush Butternut Squash (probably on a trellis) and a "Musquee de Provence" french heirloom pumpkin, probably going to let it sprawl unless someone says it can go on a trellis.

One spot gets a comination of filtered and direct light from about 9 am to 5 pm, but the direct sun is only from about noon to 4.

The other spot gets full 100% direct western exposure from about 11 am to 4:30 ish, so a longer window of 100% sun but less overall total hours of sunlight. This spot is also much hotter, because it's in front of my house and benefits from the reflected heat from the foundation and stucco.

Since I have never grown either of these squashes, I'm wondering if one or the other (butterut or the muscade) would do better, or the same, in either spot.

FWIW, I reaaaaaaly want to have success with the Musquee (even if I only get 1 or 2), and I can always buy butternut at the store if I have to.

So I'd like to pick the best spot for the Musquee, and confirm that the alternate spot will be at least OK for the butternut.

Any thoughts of where I should grow which plant?

Thanks,

KMama

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus