Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many Brussels sprouts & turnips to a square?

Posted by ccgramma 8 - MA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 7:52

Mel's book doesn't list Brussels sprouts and purple top white turnip. How many to a square? When do I plants them? Are they cold tolerant for early spring planting? Can they stay in the ground during winter such as carrots, beets, etc.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many Brussels sprouts & turnips to a square?

BS, 1 per square; turnips 4 - 6 depending on size
Here's and intensive gardening link with a chart for spacing:

Here is a link that might be useful: intensive gardening

o

Thanks for the information. ccgramma

o

LOL more like, how many squares per Brussels Sprout?
I grew Brussels Sprouts in my SFG the first year, along with cabbages and broccoli, and mine were way bigger than was practical in a SFG... the broccoli shaded out the adjacent squares, and the cabbage overlapped the adjacent squares with leaves, and the Brussels Sprouts were monstrously huge.
Wonderful, but huge. More like small trees.

So I am growing them again this year, but this time, elsewhere than the SFG.
Although the Earliana Cabbage says it is very small and good for limited space gardens. Also early, so you don't take the square up all season long for the one harvest.
hth,
Meg

o

I agree with Meg...

Last year I plant stuff willy nilly using different squares and I too found that Brussel Sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage etc tended to do well but overpowered the adjacent squares.

This year I am going to plant them in sections and see how that works.

Here is a picture of the root system of a brussels sprout in relation to the square.

You can see why it sucks the nutrients from the adjacent squares.

o

• Posted by alys Zone 5/6 - MO (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 11:53

So glad someone posted this! I was planning on two brussels sprouts, four cauliflower and three or four broccoli in 10 squares - Having never grown any of them, I had no idea how big they'd get.

Do you thing the brussels sprouts would do okay in 5 gallon containers? Then I could do the eight broccoli and cauliflower plants in 10 to 12 squares instead.

o

I'm not sure what all the problems were with brussels sprouts, but I had no problems growing one to a square. They grow up, not out in my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here