Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ne23

Source for Vermiculite in se PA??

ne23
15 years ago

I spent ALL day yesterday calling every place I thought might have vermiculite and all I found was one garden center selling it for $23 for 2 cubic feet! I called Hummert's online and they told me shipping would probably be about 4-5 times the cost of the vermiculite. ANYONE know of a source near the mainline Philly suburbs?? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• goki
    15 years ago

I saw this link on Craigslist for $12.00 - coarse grade - http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/grd/1145789706.html.

• eaglesgarden
    15 years ago

I have been looking a little myself. There is an AGWAY in West Chester (not sure where you are located) that has medium vermiculite and coarse perlite. I don't know the price. The individual I spoke to on the phone said that they wouldn't have it in stock until Friday afternoon though!

• ne23
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Goki and Eaglesgarden. I called the West Chester Agway and they said the medium vermiculite would be $25. Uline in Allentown has vermiculite for packing. I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff. Their price is $23 for 4 cubic feet of course vermiculite and if I don't find a cheaper source soon I think I'm going to go with them. Shipping is about $8 a bag but I live in Havertown and it would have been a bit of a drive to West Chester and I'd rather have the course vermiculite. If anybody knows of a reason to not use the packing vermiculite please let me know. Thanks again!

• eaglesgarden
    15 years ago

So, you are going to pay $31/bag of 4 cu. ft? Why is the price so different around the country?

• ne23
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, it's a 40 min drive for me to West Chester and considering the time and gas and that I'd rather the course grade it's worth the extra $22 for me. (I need 4 bags and shipping is $30.)

I don't know why the price varies so much but it is very frustrating. We did sfg 3 years ago when we lived in Utah and it was much easier to find and much cheaper!

By the way, uline will ship the same day if you get your order in by 6pm and ups estimate delivery time to this area is one day. Another reason why it's worth it to me.

• ne23
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Found another source!

W H Milikowski
    38 industrial circle, lancaster
    877-354-7010

$13.15 4 cu ft course vermiculite

Now that is worth driving for!

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

I understand...if my sister-in-law didn't live 5-10 minutes away from the Agway, I probably would too. I would prefer the coarse, but as of right now, I don't think I want to spend that much in SHIPPING. I might just wait a little before making new beds, and see if I can find something a little cheaper in the meantime. If not, Uline should still be in business (fingers crossed!).

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

ne 23,

That is a great price. That is not worth driving for by itself, but the food out that way is too good to pass up. I might just have to drive out there and pick some up...then I might get a little hungry and need to stop by a buffet...or two!!!

Thanks for providing the phone #! I plan to call ahead to make sure there is some in stock and on reserve before I head out.

• luke3026
    14 years ago

I can vouch for WH Milikowski. I live 20 minutes from them and that's where I got my 4 bags of vermiculite. Hard to beat that price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luke's SF Victory Garden

• sqftsteve
    14 years ago

It's a bit of a long way to go from Philly, but after calling all over central NJ I finally found 4CF bags of horticultural grade course vermiculite for $14.50 at Bartell Farm & Garden Supplies in Clark, NJ (right off of the GSP, exit 135).

You could also try contacting the manufacturer to see who might carry it locally:

The Schundler Company
    150 Whitman Ave
    Edison, NJ 08817

732-287-2244

http://www.schundler.com/

• ne23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found another one:

Griffin Greenhouse & Nursery Supplies, Inc.
    200 Mountain View Road
    Morgantown, PA 19543
    (610) 286-0046

6 cu ft coarse vermiculite 22.18

I called and they have it in stock.

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

ne23,

great stuff....if I can ask what method of searching are you using???

• ne23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! Lots and lots of calling. I found the last one in a round about way using the info from sqftsteve. Thank you.:) I'm still hoping I'll find one closer to me before Saturday.

By the way, in case anyone else is looking, the Griffin Greenhouse place has locations in Ewing and Bridgeton NJ as well as NY, CT, MA, ME, VA, TN, and GA. You can find phone #'s here: http://www.griffins.com/locations/index.asp

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus