Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinkstoomuch

Growing peppers from seed

thinkstoomuch
14 years ago

Hi All,

This will be my first year of SFG. I got my new beds filled with Mel's mix this weekend - it was so exciting!

My question is about peppers. I started a few varieties of pepper plants indoors a few weeks ago. For the most part I was successful at germination (still can't get one variety to germinate). After germination, they went into my basement underneath florescent shop lights. There they have been doing fine, but not really doing much. They are just now starting to develop a second set of leaves (I'm assuming their first set of true leaves?). Other than that, they seem to be growing painfully slow. I fear that with my short growing season (Boston area), my plants will not be mature enough to get any peppers by the time the season is over. Am I worrying too much? Should I move my pepper plants up to the main floor of the house where it is warmer?

Thanks,

Kim

Comments (3)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

You need adequate heat and light; at least 70ºF but more is better. If you are not providing one of these, the growing conditions need to change.

Dan

• bsntech
    14 years ago

Yes, peppers need quite a bit of heat. I started my peppers about three weeks ago and they all have the two original leaves and a few have a second set just starting.

My basement hovers between 60 and 68 degrees and I use the cool white fluorescent bulbs.

The past few days I've been setting all of my seedlings outside in the partial shade where it has been warmer. Real sunlight - even shaded sunlight - is better than fluorescent lights. The breeze is also helping to make the stems more sturdy.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• thinkstoomuch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. The seedlings are getting ample light, but sounds like not enough heat. I will move them to a warmer part of the house.
    As always - thank you! So much to learn....
    Kim

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022