Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurenlulu_gw

Three sisters in the SFG?

laurenlulu
16 years ago

I'm going a SFG setup this year and I really want to maximize the space. Can I plant corn according to the square foot method and have the beans and pumpkin interplanted? The thing is, I only have 16 blocks (in two rows of 8) to dedicate to this. I'm crazy, right- this wont work?

Also, if I were to do it- I wouldn't want to plant 8 beans in the same square as the corn and pumpkin, right? Maybe 2 plants?

Comments (11)

• darthtrader
    16 years ago

I'm doing this as well and I don't see why it wouldn't work. What I'm doing is planting the squash at 1 per 1.5 sq ft and interplanting the corn and beans around the squash.

• coreenm
    16 years ago

In one of my squares I have a zucchini in the middle of a two square plot, and snow peas on either side of it to maximize the squares. So in two squares- one zucchini and four peas.

• blancspons
    15 years ago

I'm going to attempt this as well, but I am nervous because I read that I needed to plant several corn to make it work. I was thinking a 6x3' bed with 12 corn, 4 squash/pumpkin and 18 beans. I'm not sure where to plant what or if it would be too crowded. Let me know if one of you can make it work... I might just have one raised bed that isn't using the square foot method to make the three sisters garden work.

• love2b_home
    15 years ago

I have done 3 sisters in the regular garden; this is how I have done it successfully: Plant several rows of corn 2 kernels per hole, 1 foot apart. When corn is 6 inches up thin to 1 plant, plant climbing bean on each side 2 fingerbreadths from corn, train up the corn. When I plant the corn, I plant squash 3 feet apart (plant 2 thin to 1) to keep bottoms of corn cool. Hope these spacings are of help to you.

• laurenlulu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I decided to use a seperate 4X8ft bed. I planted the corn yesterday. I'm pretty much going to be doing it the way you suggest love2bhome, 1 cornstalk per square foot and a couple beans around each one. I'm nervous about the pumpkin spacing, but the pumpkins would have room to sprawl outside the bed, so I think I'm going to plant them at 2 ft intervals. I've never planted pumpkin before, so I have no idea how much its going to cover, or the yield. I'm using the sugar pumpkins, and doing one half pole beans and later in the summer will plant the other half with snap peas

• betho
    15 years ago

I'm going to bump this thread because I'm curious as far as this is concerned but I want to try the three sisters... the bed I'd use is 20' x 2/5'. I'm concerned about the pollination of the corn... do you think that narrow of a space would work?

• carolynp
    15 years ago

It's worked for me. On the SFG website they advocate 4 corn per sq ft, and that's what I've done and my corn are all tall and well pollinated. The 1 per sq ft is from the old book. I'd be careful of the light issue. When they get tall, they cast shadows on the squash. It doesn't matter if they grow together b/c they get tall at the same time.

• betho
    15 years ago

OK cool, the long bed (I mistyped, it's 2.5 feet wide) is up against my house on the north side of the garden so I thought it would be a great spot for it, except for the pollination deal.

So when doing the three sisters SFG-style, do you still do 4 corn plants per square foot? Where is there room for the pumpkins to spread out? Sorry, I'm just having a problem visualizing this.

• laurenlulu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm the OP, I started with one corn plant per square foot- which mostly didn't germinate, so I tried again a few weeks later planting 4 per square foot, along with grean beans and sugar pie pumpkin. My corn is growing well, and ears are forming- almost ready to eat!!! My pumpkin is insane- don't expect it to stay within that area, mine has taken over half the yard. And as for the green beans- check the package to make sure they're not bush beans. I have teeny scrawny little bush bean plants hidden inside the corn. Probably you dont have to worry about making that mistake.

Next year I will probably only do 2 corn plants per sq. ft., I think that will make everything a little easier to manage.

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

I did a box of corn 1 per foot planting beans in between the plants. I started these 2 weeks before our last frost date and cover them in plastic.

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention, The corn is Earlivee and is treated seed. I planted elsewhere some non-treated seed which only had about 30% germination. This box had 99% Germination...

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County