Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsntech

Zone 5'ers - What Have You Planted Thus Far

bsntech
14 years ago

Hi all Zone 5'ers -

What have your permanently planted in your gardens so far this year?

I just planted the broccoli out on Saturday. I planted all of the onions out the Sunday before last and the second batch a few days later.

We just put all of our potatoes in the ground yesterday as well.

Just was wondering how far along other folks were since the weather is warmer than typical.

I was going to plant the celery out, but I decided not to at this point because the average frost date is April 27th - and we're still a far way from that.

Comments (12)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Peas, potatoes are up, as is mizuna, 2 vars of lettuce, first onions popping thru as well, spinach.

Dan

• qhound
    14 years ago

Nothing yet...still building my beds. Hope to have them filled with soil in a couple of days though.

• marzy_the_gardener
    14 years ago

Sunday afternoon I planted strawberries, leaf lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, collard greens, radishes and sugar snap peas. The chives from last year started growing about a month ago and are thriving. Am crossing my fingers that the weather will remain nice. I would have liked to put the onions in too but I ran out of daylight.

• bsntech
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow dan - quite ahead of the group.

We just had a frost the other night here. I've started all of my peas in six-packs and will transplant out in about a week. I have about 1/4 of them that have sprouted in six days thus far.

As for lettuce - I'm probably behind here. I'm planting one of each of Simpson Elite, Buttercrunch, and Red Salad bowl every week. Now that I seed them in the six-packs and they immediately go outside in the full sun, it doesn't seem like they are germinating well at all.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I'm at ~5700 feet, lots of sun, I warm my soil and I cover to keep the wind off, Denver is a very easy place to extend the season. Keeping lettuce planted in spring from bolting is another story, which is why fall is preferred.

Dan

• defrost49
    14 years ago

Sugar snap peas, spinach and some mixed lettuce under floating row cover. Garlic planted last fall is up about 6". Dug the last of the parsnips. I have shallot seed and leeks winter sown.

Here in NH we've had frosts for the past couple of nights. 29 deg when I got up this morning

• bananastand
    14 years ago

Spinach, lettuce, kale, and snap peas are in the ground direct seeded. I have two flats of starts that I've been hardening off and will plant over the next month. Leeks, parsley, rosemary, and a few flowers to add in to my landscaping.

• kwik1
    14 years ago

I've got sugar snap peas, some leaf lettuce and potatoes out. I have broccoli and Brussels spouts seedlings ready to go out later this week as well. They are about a month old.

• marzy_the_gardener
    14 years ago

I like that pvc/greenhouse structure you've made over your carrots bsntech!

Speaking of which I will be planting carrots this coming weekend. No signs of life from the stuff I planted on 4/11 yet.

• bananastand
    14 years ago

Kwik1, isn't it early to start Brussels Sprouts? I'm behind if not!! Mine are still in the seed packet!

• kwik1
    14 years ago

Lucille - I get a fairly heat resistant variety started in early spring and then do another planting in midsummer. The early season are not as sweet, but still pretty good.

• new_2_gardening
    14 years ago

Can we still start brussels? I didn't do mine yet either!!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville