Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skip the vermiculite and peat moss?

Posted by shpigford 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 9:29

Does anyone skip vermiculite & peat moss and ONLY use compost in their square foot garden?

I've got a LOT of good compost available that is pretty varied as far as materials go.

I'm in central Alabama and we get a decent amount of rain.

The cost of vermiculite and peat moss around here for the scale I need (~70 cubic feet of EACH) is just crazy expensive, while the compost is cheap/free.

Also, this is for raised beds (8" deep).

This post was edited by shpigford on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 9:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skip the vermiculite and peat moss?

John koler from growing your green uses only compost in some of his foot deep beds and seems to do well

o

What is your underlying soil? I am over at least a foot of sand, so I get away with almost pure compost, but if you are on a clay soil, i would try to work in some vermiculite, even if not the full amount

o

@ray_scheel: It's clay and rocks.

Vermiculite is just painfully expensive (around $11 per cubic foot) and even if I went light with it, I'd end up spending over $500 for our size garden.

o

My dad, in Montana, just uses compost... no vermiculite or peat and his garden does well. He waters about every 3rd day when it is hot/dry.

In my raised beds I have the first 6 inches of 1/2 compost, 1/2 peat and 1/2 vermiculite. I will fill the rest with compost as my compost piles produce it.

o

Vermiculite and peat add no nutrient value to the soil. fwiw - I never added any to my beds.

o

I grew zucchini, chives, bell peppers, basil fine last year with manure and soil.

o

I originally did the recommended mix and regret the $$ I spent. I now go with compost added every year along with some garden soil, and wish I'd gone with a compost/soil mix from the get-go.

o

I think the vermiculite is really to help retain moisture, especially in raised beds ( more exposure to wind drying ) which are on hard bases ( no water available to draw up ).

I'd try it out for a season and see how you go - if you're heaping beds on top of existing soil I reckon the above advise will see you right. I've never had a problem with just compost.

Best of luck.

D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here