Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crabbcat

Green beans and Tomatoes

crabbcat
15 years ago

I've got a question for anybody who might have tried this. I just installed a new 4'x16' raised bed.it runs east and west. Its on a exsisting slope, but has been leveled. so the down hill 16'long side is approx 12" deep of new loose amended soil and on its also on the north end, and the uphilll side is approx. 6 inches deep of newly amended soil and is on the south end. Its on a exsisting earthen slope which has been tilled down in and amended before the bed was placed and filled with more soil etc. to level it. I planted a row of 7 Tomato plants on the deeper 16 ft long north end next to the wall. So i still have approx. 3'x16' of space on the front/south in the shallower south side. I'm planning on putting a 16'row of peppers in front of the toms to the south. Can i put a 16'row or two of bush green beans to the south/front of that? What i'm worried about is that the green beans will create too much nitrogen and seep down on the exsisting hard pan slope to my peppers and toms. Would i be better off planting something else on the south side of the pepper and toms?

I also plan on interplanting onions,basil and radishes around the tomatos and peppers

Comments (5)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

You should be fine planting bush beans next to peppers and tomatoes as long as you provide proper spacing.

Good luck. If you haven't caught EG's blog, your beds remind me of his.

Enjoy your garden.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

In my opinion, there's no way the legumes could produce enough nitrogen to damage the other crops.

EG

• crabbcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea, sounds like me and EG are two peas in a pod...lol I'm in Western kentucky, sort of a cross between a redneck and a hippie...lol Although i like AC/DC, i'm more of a old Dead Head. I even have the German Shepherd. "Trooper" Mines a 150lb Stud tho, but he looks just like EG's dog. thanks for the advice all and i'll try to post some pics of my Beds,Homemade greenhouse and other stuff soon.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I'd love to see that homemade greenhouse!

EG

• crabbcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll have to take some photos of it next week, i'm going out of town this weekend. I just built it 3 months ago. Its not quite all done on the outside and pretty yet, but its functional. its a pole barn type building 8x12 made out of 4 new premium Anderson vinyl patio doors for the roof and 2 new vinyl patio door blanks on each side. one is made into a door. 4- 3x6 insluated sliding windows accross the front with scrrens and 4 old windows below that. The four old ones form a cold frame the whole 12 ft accross the bottom of the front. They also open for access and so they can act as huge bottom vents. Right now its got brand new white wire track shelving that i salvaged all accross the front widows, and bamboo flooring ripped down for a slat type bench accross the front also. I used old wood pallets for the floor so far... its also got 2 thousand heirloom tomato seedlings in it...lol But i've been selling them pretty good so far the last couple of weeks. I've also built that new 4 x 16 raised bed above it the last week. in the last year i've also built ten 4x10 raised beds terraced down the side of my hill above my pond area. Try this link. i've got a few pictures of it when i first framed it, but the bottom windows are leaned out into a cold frame now and its a lot more done with shelving and clear plastic curtains i made on the inside of all the windows and ceiling. .

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse frame

Sponsored