Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docbuttons

Irrigating my SFG?

docbuttons
15 years ago

Hello, I'm a second year SFGardener...I'd like to hear anyone's opinion about how you irrigate your SFG. I'm unsure if I should be looking to do drip irrigation, or setup a timer to run every morning for ??? minutes a day, etc etc. Please let me know your best/favorite way to irrigate. I work in retail, so my schedule is crazy and so me watering by hand every day, though probably the best decision is not really an option for now anyways...so I'm looking for easy and effective.

Comments (7)

• snibb
    15 years ago

doc..I agree with you. If you have 1 or 2 gardens, watering by hand is best. But, if you have more, it becomes pretty incovenient. I have a drip irrigation system that was custom made by the same lady who is(will be)selling it through the SFG foundation. She can do the same for you when she knows your layout-number of boxes, where your water source will be, space between boxes, etc. I have an automatic timer on it, so, I do next to nothing as far as watering. I go on vacation and dont worry about it. I water for 7 minutes every day, and 7 minutes twice a day in the dead of summer. The cost of the timer was the most money-$30. Other than that, I think it cost me something like $30 to set it all up. You can take a look at some of the pictures in photobucket to get an idea. Photobucket is a new experience for me, but, Im learning..drip irrigation-the only way to go for multiple boxes if you can afford it...

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm14/snobblet/

• snibb
    15 years ago

doc...if you go back into photobucket, I have added a few mroe detailed pictures of the drip system..hope it gives you some ideas..

• bdobs
    15 years ago

I'm planning on running a similar system on my box.
    I will run a 1/2" main feed running the length of my box, secured to the top with 1/2" conduit clamps.
    At HD, I found some 1/4" line with built in drippers every 6".
    I will run one of those T'd of the 1/2" main every 6".

I will have to experament to see how long to run each day

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

My plan was to bury a soaker hose and water once a week if necessary. I was always taught infrequent deep waterig was much better than frequent light watering.

• ming001
    15 years ago

I bowed to SFG pressure and am setting up drip hoses. I only have 1 line running to each square right now and figured that once I planted things I could run 1/4" line off the 1/2" line.
    It definitely has cost me more than $30 so far though!

• snibb
    15 years ago

I tried soaker for 2 years..only a couple of problems with it-1)at the corners you end up bending it around to make it down the next row. When you do that, you wont be able to water the corners with it. 2)your going to go out there and fix "leaks" all summer long-it wont last. And, while it may be better to water a traditional single row garden that way, its not needed with this soil. Water stays in the 6" that you are growing it, so, you dont need to deep water. But, you wont be able to get by watering these gardens once a week, it needs more than that...

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

My rain barrels won't do a soaker hose, I'll be watering by hand w/ a watering can. I'm also going to foliar feed and soil drench w/ a sprayer and compost teas at least bi-weekly.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH