Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19690049

Neat idea with 2 liter soda bottles

User
14 years ago

I don't usually post here, I wandered over from another forum.

This link may be yesterday's news to you folks here but I think it's a neat idea. I'm thinking about trying a cold frame for next winter.

Enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: recycling soda bottles

Comments (12)

• jengc
    14 years ago

This is REALLY cute...if you drink a lot of 2 liter bottled cokes! lol But the thing that kept going through my head was, won't all the heat escape through the places where the bottles doesn't quiet meet up with the wood?

But really great project for adult/kids!

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

I would not worry about air escaping. How long will a 2 liter last in the sun? I'll try to find out!

Curt~

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Kind of a fun object lesson on many levels. Surely not airtight at any location on the structure, and PET is not UV-resistant.

Dan

• jengc
    14 years ago

Curt-I think I might try it too. Now to find an overabundance of 2 liter bottles! lol

• nycynthias
    14 years ago

What an interesting idea! What's funny is that I probably go through that many 2 liter bottles in a year in my house. Yoinks, maybe I need to reassess my Coke Zero and seltzer habits! LOL

• heather38
    14 years ago

I wouldn't worry about UV resistance as a English person married to a Scot, the people of Moray think, (to paraphrase A-ha 1980's Norwegian pop group) "the sun "only" shines on TV", so UV, not a problem, nor is the source of bottles, the Scot's drink high sugar pop drinks by the thousand, one in particular is Iru Bru, and I have to say I rather like it too :-)
    PS Hubby agrees with me.

• heather38
    14 years ago

all jokes aside, Curt are you really going to try, I would love to know, as it would be such a cool project me and my boys in a few year, they are only 5 and would give me time to save the bottles :-)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

If you lined the inside of it with green house plastic then it would be double glazed. If anybody really wants to try it, if you buy the soda, my kids would be more than happy to empty the bottles for you. :)

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

All jokes aside yes I am retired (bored) and can get all the 2 liters I want at the recycle shed a few blocks away I think I can just build a wall for a cold frame and see how it works sounds like fun. To bad the grand kids are too far away to help. I have some clear vinyl that is uv resistant to cover and stop air leaks. I will give it some more thought. Any other ideas anyone?

Curt~

• momstar
    14 years ago

What an amazing project for elementary school kids. If they all started saving 2 liter bottles and took them to school to collect, by January they would have enough and then the greenhouse, reuse/recycle, planting lessons could begin. They could grow flowers to plant at the school, or even vegies.

My MIL goes through one 2 liter per day (minimum). I bet it wouldn't take long to get enough to experiment with.

So what if it only lasts a year or two. Just keep saving for replacements.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Curt, I agree that the UV-resistant plastic is needed, as these bottles will start to fall apart soon. We were talking maybe all the bamboo poles left over from our tree planting projects could go toward such a project, as long as there was some sort of UV protection as these won't last.

Dan

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

OK I oped out on this. I put together a line/pole of them they will not handle my prairie winds. today we have gust of 40 mph So on to the next idea.
    Curt~

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio