Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not enough mix - suggestions?

Posted by Hez78 Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 10:49

So a few weeks ago, my husband and I built our 2nd sfg. Instead of buying the pre-made bags of Mels Mix, we attempted to blend our own.

I thought we had enough mix, but after we planted the veggies and everything settled out, it would seem we're maybe 1 cu. foot short. (The level of the mix in the planter is a little bit less than our first one).

Should I just buy another bag of compost and sprinkle it on top to increase the depth of the soil? Or do I need to dig up the plants, remix in more compost, and replant? The transplant veggies have been growing for a few weeks now.

I'm such a newbie at this - I want to make sure I do what's best for the veggies. :)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not enough mix - suggestions?

Yes, you can just buy compost and mix it in, you can also buy peat moss and compost and mix both in. Finally, you can add some more vermiculite, just make sure to get it wet so it doesn't blow away.

But if you want to keep it simple, just compost is totally ok.

o
RE: Not enough mix - suggestions?

Aye, concur with the above - you can always balance it out going forward, as you replenish your bed. really comes down to how anal you want to be about sticking to the 'plan'. I recycle a fair number of growbags every year into my boxes, and I'm still eating what comes out :-)

best of luck.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here