Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownli

Suggestions for my Potatoes, please?

brownli
15 years ago

Please advise on options for my potato plants.

At the last second of starting my new garden - I decided- what the heck and threw in a few seed potatoes - my soil is 8 inches deep. I only planted in 2 squares - really assuming not to expect much growth/success as I'm new to gardening. Well, I have quite a bit of growth (as tall as 6 inches on some) with the potatoes and now am uncertain what to do next.

What I've read is a mix of methods...of course...gotta love you guys....

Here's a pic of my potatoes:

From Square Foot Gardening

I've read some on the bins - and well, I didn't start/plan for that. I could add more soil - ya know mounding as such, but my DH is away on business for the next 2 weeks so I'm without my handsome, handy man to build another layer of box, I don't know how successful this would be - I'd hope ok in the short term until he returns.

So I guess my questions are:

1) What happens if I do nothing....?

2) Would mounding the soil at this time (since they are already pretty tall) net me more success? As a newby here, I've set my expectations accordingly - but would like to see at least some worthy potatoes.

3) Just what is happening under the soil? I have my potatoes in the same box with other plants with no physical division of space from top of soil down. Do potatoes sprawl under the surface? And is sprawl really a word? I digress.

Again, any advice is welcome.

Linda

Comments (11)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Linda - jbest123 had unbelievable results with potatoes in his garden last year. Best I can remember, he didn't mound them at all. Also, I think granny told us a while back, that they are only hilled with more soil, to keep sunlight from getting to the tubers. Apparently they are "green" if that happens. I have taters in my sfg, and just mounded as much as possible -which is probably about 6".

EG

• brownli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey thanks EG - so for clarification - do I mound them, covering up the leaves as well, up to a certain (what) height? I'm having a real 'do it' issue with throwing dirt on perfectly good looking leaves...:) - kind of like pruning off a perfectly nice looking tomato vine...

If I can grow any number of decent ones, then next year I'll plan on allocating more space for potatoes.

Thanks.
    Linda

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

Tubers will only form above the seed piece you planted. Hilling encourages the stem to root and more tubers to form on the plant. Sunlight will cause the tubers to turn a toxic green however you can also place hay or straw around the plant to encourage more tubers.

No potatoes will NOT take over your garden. On my plants I usu. find all the tubers within a 1ft area.

No, covering the leaves will NOT kill the plant.

ps. the soil should be a very, very low Ph (4.5-5) to avoid potato scab. The poatato beetles WILL find your plants ;-)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

My experience last year was that hilling works best when 4 inch stems are covered 3 inches. That way, they don't get enough sunlight to become stems and can be turned into roots. My problem last year was waiting too long to hill. At least that was my post season analysis.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Listen to Gumby and Sinfonian. Cover (or hill) the plants and leave just the top few leaves sticking up on each plant. Green potatoes is only one reason for hilling them. I feel it increases yield area also. I believe I read 6-9" is the best depth for hilling, and I think that's about what I've done in the past to get good yields...but it's been a long time since I planted potatoes!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• lowraine
    15 years ago

If my ph isn't right, what is the suggestion to achieve 4/5-5?

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

A soil test.
    Another area.
    A Barrel
    Used tires
    Or just try it ;-)

• brownli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok - he may be handsome, he may be handy.......but while Papa was gone, Mama found the candy! 4 boards - uneven in length, duct tape, scissors, some soil/compost(not enough)....and BAM!

And I really think my potatoes grew even more last night - a few are really tall - taller than 6 inches for sure - my boards were only 2x4s.

I'll get more mix today to fill up at least to the top of the boards, that is if I get sign off from you guys...any other suggestions, thoughts welcome.

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

Do NOT add manure to potatoes, it could cause scab.

I would just pick up a bale of hay. But yea you are on to it ;-) make another little condo.

Remember, you can harvest the potatoes anytime but wait until the blossoms die back. They are like eating a fresh tomato from the garden, esp. if you eat it the same day.

• brownli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thanks Gumby - I added compost of plant matter - no manure that I'm aware of - but I'll remove that if advised and look for some hay....uhm...cityfolk looking for hay....

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

You should be fine now. Fresh manure is a no-no, but your plant based compost should be just fine. In the row planting method, I always put a trench of manure between the rows (at least a foot away from the potato row) and got huge, perfect potatoes, but no room for that in our raised beds.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living