Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momstar_gw

Seed tape

momstar
14 years ago

So I've read on GW about making your own seed tape for small seeds (carrot etc). I hate to admit it but I am getting older and I'm having trouble with small seeds. So I decided to make some seed tape. It was snowing, again, and I was impatient to get going on the garden.

I went to get the Elmer's glue out of the cupboard and found a glue stick there as well. Water soluble and washable.

After I couldn't get the lid on the Elmer's open (someone must have welded it shut) I decided I would try the glue stick. It worked and was AMAZING!

All the talk on these forums about sticky Elmer's, making a mess and taking forever to dry was not an issue. The glue stick was new so it was soft. I separated a klenex, used my square foot spacing template to mark where I wanted the seeds. Then I rubed (carefully so as not to rip the tissue) a spot of glue stick on the mark and used tweezers to drop the seed in place. When I had the klenex "seeded" I put the other half of the tissue over the top and lightly pressed on each seed. I didn't have to wait for it to dry. I just stacked the tissues as soon as I was done with each one. They didn't stick, they didn't make a mess on my table, and they were perfect.

I had to explain to DH and the kids what I was doing because they thought I'd finally lost it completely. Even after explaining they still thought I had lost it.

But after work on Tuesday, I went into the garden and layed out the tissues, sprinkled a light layer of compost over them and watered. They were already dissolving before I walked back into the house. Eight squares of carrots and 4 squares of scallions are neatly planted.

I just had to share with everyone on the forum who has "lost it".

Comments (6)

Sponsored