Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to Do With Old Dirt

Posted by rnp0123 Southern Cal (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 13:08

I have been working with two raised beds for a few years now. Initially there was some settling but now the soil is at the top. I usually add fresh compost and some manure every year. My question is what to do with the old soil that I dig out to make room for adding compost. I hate to dump the old top soil because structurally it is very good, although probably deprived of nutrients. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to Do With Old Dirt

If the beds are mostly old compost, I would just add the amount of compost and manure needed to top it off. The older stuff is still breaking down and releasing nutrients, and will also provide a matrix to recapture some of the more volatile nutrients released by decomposing manure. If you have just an inch or two of room, that is plenty of fresh compost to add each year to refresh the nutrients in the soil.

If you initially filled the beds with a significant of materials that were not parts of Mel's mix, on a one-time basis you may need to replace enough of what is in there to get with of the sand / silt component so what if left all breaks down enough each your to just top off with an inch or two of new compost.

o

Let me explain, the soil is at the top. There in no room to add more soil unless I take something out.

o

Could you use that to start anew bed?

o

I was gonna suggest a new bed too? lol

Do you have a compost pile you could add it to?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here