Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Square size input for Raised bed 3'8" width?

Posted by mommy2nk 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 13:24

My husband built me 2 garden boxes last year but they didn't get much use since we underwent a backyard renovation. I am ready to start gardening and have been interested in the SFG method. I am waiting to get the book at the library but have read quiet a bit online. I see many of the boxes are 4' in width. I measured my boxes and they are 3'8" x 7'. The 7' side is easy, I will have seven 12 inch sections but how should I go about sectioning off the 3'8" side. Should I just make the sections slightly bigger and have 14.67" x 12 " squares or should I make them 1" smaller and have them be 11"x12" squares?

Thanks so much for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Square size input for Raised bed 3'8" width?

I figured it out with the help of someone at a local nursery. I bought some herbs yesterday and spoke with this person and had mentioned I was going to do the square foot method. He said he use to teach classes on it. So I gave him a call and he had the answer for me. I will stay consistent with the square foot sizing and then have a section on the side that is 8 inches by 12 inches. I will just plant smaller plants along the that side.

o

I measure out the center of the "short side", then plan my 12" from there. I have 4x8 foot beds and it just makes the corners 10 1/2" by 12". Not really much of a difference.

o

I put in 5 rows of corn at 8 inch intervals. While this is pushing the space requirements I slid in beans between the outer two rows of corn (sadly apparently my soil and beans are not working) and then pulled on corn every 6th plant in the 2nd and 4th rows and planned to plant yellow squash once the corn was about 15 to 18 inches. I was late with squash, and corn was about 24 inches tall when it finally got in ground. So far so good.

Bed is too wide at just over 5 foot wide, but was what I had when I got here. Hope to split the dirt into two 3 foot wide bed next year. Just need to gather enough cinder blocks to build new walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here