Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownli

Using/Spraying BT???

brownli
15 years ago

Ok, so I found a bottle of BT and the ingredients listed are 15% BT, 85% other....but no descr of what 'other' is...I found this on 2 differing brands, one read Thuricide, the other bottle labeled as BT.

So my questions are:

1) Is there a specific brand or 'mix' that I should look to buy, or did I find the correct stuff?

3) Is this stuff really safe, or just safer?

2) I was told to mix 4tsp to 1 gallon. When I asked about sprayers, I was shown a load of sprayers - from pump, to pre-measured sprayers, etc. I really was just thinking simple - ya know - a hand-held spray bottle whereby I could mix 1tsp/1qt water. When I asked about that I was looked at as though I was a loon. Now, perhaps the clerk didn't realize that I have these small boxes of plants - perhaps assuming I needed to spray rows and rows of plants....who knows...anyway...I left without a sprayer.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Comments (11)

• brownli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I realize I left off the question on Item 2...

What sprayers do you recommend and can the 'mixed' solution keep week to week in the spray bottle?

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

For just a few plants, I'd just go with a spray bottle (like Windex comes in). I see no problem with mixing it and leaving in the bottle, but I'd keep it in a cool place, like garage or basement, and label it as BT. The other ingredients should be listed, but if not they are probably water and a wetting agent to keep the spray on the leaf.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• brownli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I was hoping that I could go simple, using a spray bottle.

I'm having to put my husband to task this evening after work for a critter cover...something with prominent front teeth has been chomping on my strawberries...only takes the one bite, then moves on....like 'it's OK to steal just a little bit'! Whatever!

Thanks again for the advice on the BT.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

brownli - If it states 4 teaspoons to a gallon of water, then mix 1 teaspoon to a quart. For you, I would get one of the small bottles that has the handle on the side. I have one, and it's probably about 1/2 gallon. Also, any that is mixed up should be used within 12 hours of mixing. It is no good after that. Hope this helps.

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Good heavens, EG...I've had stuff in the bottle for a year or more and it still kills 'em dead! Of course, you have to leave the lid on and not leave it out in the heat.

But brownli, listen to EG 'cause he's used it a lot more than I have. Not that he knows everything...he probably doesn't even have a collection of Windex bottles with skulls and crossbones drawn all over them like I do. Bless the little poopyhead ;-)

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ha! If you read the label on the bottle of BT, it clearly staes what I said....I'm the BT/trellis man......hee hee. Thanks for the "poopyhead"!

EG

• brownli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok...so here's what I've done...after spraying my plants, I've poured half of the solution out (for EG) and I've kept half of the solution in the bottle for later use (for Granny)...you two are worse than my 5 year old daughter and her best friend...when they were 3, I had to intervene on a squabble they had over some invisible toys...one had only 3 of the invisible toys in her hand and the other one had 5...

And then back to reality...I'm still not finding any worms - I'm looking all over each plant - should they be visible to me at any time of my choosing or do they feed at night...

Also, the Bt says to apply weekly - is this a strict guideline or do you spray more often when you have rain, even light rain?

Thanks guys...I guess I can handle you guys sparring given all the advice you offer as well!!! (poopyhead, really?)lol

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

brownli, I really have to bow to EG's knowledge here. I haven't used the stuff in years so directions may have changed since then. I just let the little green worms share my cole crops with me the last time I grew them. The problem with that is it's not pretty to see little green worms in the bowl with your steamed broccoli. I did at least learn to soak that in salt water before cooking!

I looked for BT at Lowe's yesterday, but no go. I'll have to hit the farm supply to see if they have it. Since I found a cabbage moth in my house this week, I have a feeling they will be in full attack mode in the garden this year.

brownli, I love EG. If I don't call him a poopyhead at least once a week, his feelings really get hurt.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Invisible toys? Hey, wait a minute.... I could have invisible trellises, all around the perimeter of the yard! I think i'll go build 'em right now, especially since I've already got the materials for building them! Ha!
    Ok....just had to get that out. The only time I've seen cabbage worms actively feeding is during the day, but have seen various caterpillars feeding day and night. I spray my BT weekly, unless it rains. Oh! And granny's right....The more times she calls me "poopyhead", the better I feel. I can hardly make it thru one day, without it..Hee Hee...

EG

• brownli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok,EG, I'm still laughing about you having all the supplies for building your invisible trellises! I may be serving up invisible broccoli to my husband one night for dinner...and HE'LL LIKE IT!!

On a serious note, I'm still not finding any worms. However, we do have (what we call here) June bugs. It's a bit early but we've had a really warm early spring, minus some days here/there. My husband thinks these bugs may be nipping at the plants.

If he's right (it WILL be the first time), would a cover of sorts work/be helpful? The damage so far is really isolated to my broccoli and pepper plants. My lettuce/swiss chard and spinach are just now making their entrance into the world as well. Should I be concerned for them as well? SO MUCH TO LEARN!

Any of you ever camp out with your garden...I'm thinking about it...catch those suckers in action.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

brownli - Hmm....if you've got june bugs, they are certainly a suspect. Row covers might work, as some gardeners swear by them. I don't camp out at the garden, but go out there ALOT!

EG

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor