Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Off the ground raised beds

Posted by Toledobend none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 14:19

I live in Louisiana (area 8b). My sunny area in my yard sometime floods for a few weeks (I live on a lake). This happens about every three years and sometimes lasts three weeks. My first bed is 4x13 and is two concrete blocks high. The first 8" is filled with masonary sand and then on top of that, I've got Mel's mix in the second stack. I figure if the sand is in standing water, my plants will still be okay but I'll have to wear rubber boots to get to the garden. After reading Mel's (new) book, I was thinking about staying with 4'x4' squares and having them raised off the groumd on skids. I am thinking about using either 4'x4'x3/4" plywood on top of 2x4 skids or in stead, maybe using a sheet of 4'x8' Hardi Board cut to 4'x4' on 2x4 skids. This way I'm above the water or I can move the whole planter to another area out of the water. I can also move a bed or beds to a shadier spot in summer if it too hot. (PS, I know about having drain holes.) Is anyone doing this and also, is there a problem in winter, since the cold air can also get underneath the bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Off the ground raised beds

Toledobend,

The raised beds will be fine off the ground, however, this turns them from being raised beds in to being containers.

Since they no longer sit on the ground, you do not get the added benefit of having the ground they sit on act as a wick, preventing any kind of perched water table...but if the ground in that area was very wet, that was not an advantage for you anyway. Also, the ground the sit on usually helps maintain temps better, preventing the soil from overheating, but the increased airflow from the space underneath should compensate for that.

The biggest difference will probably be in how you water and fertilize them. You probably want to follow more of a container fertilizing regimen... When you water containers, a lot of the fertilizer and or nutrients built up in the soil will run out the drain holes, so you will have to feed them more often.

Check out the container gardening forum for some good advice on growing veggies in containers...

o
RE: Off the ground raised beds

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here