Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfanatic4

sfg plan i need some advice

daylilyfanatic4
15 years ago

Hi, I came up with this plan for my summer garden. I know at least someone is going to say my tomatoes are to close however I'm pruning to two stems and there is no way I'm growing any fewer tomato plants. I hope the trellised watermelon has enough room I gave him 2 sf for one plant. same thing for the ground crawling muskmelon (CA) which got 6 sf. My main concern is if plants are going to be shaded out espesially along the east side of the 4x4 tomato bed.

anyway what do you think?

Comments (11)

• shnnn
    15 years ago

Would you be able to pivot your beds so that the north side was longer, making a diamond pattern rather than a square pattern?

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

NOPE sorry there is just no way three of the boxes are already built (made out of sticks woven togehter by me and attached to the ground) and filled with soil + plants. the last box only has one place to go were it will fit without taking up all the path space. the nne side of the boxes (top of the picture is bloccked by a grove of pine trees so none of there sun comes from that direction they get sun from ~ 10:00-4:00 so most of that is either from the sw or the west or directly overhead. the box that is not yelt built is the one closet to the bottom of the page.

thanks,

DLF

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I wonder why your trellises aren't the farthest thing north. It is clear you have thought this through. I do fear that everything north of the trellises will be shaded too much. So you're right to be concerned about shade. Greens may do well in the late summer with all that shade.

Good luck and enjoy!

• gtche98
    15 years ago

I won't echo others regarding trellises on the north side, but I am fascinated that you said you wove your boxes? Any chance you could post a picture? I would love to see them!

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi, The trellises are on the NNE (top of the page) side of the boxes at the very top of the page so those plants won't block any sun and the two boxes on the left had side of the page have trellises on the NNW (left side) side of the box as well. the problem is the two 4x4 boxes with trellises on the sse side of the box. although most of the sun comes from the s and the sw there is still some sun coming from the se and the s sun will shade all the plants farther north in the box. I could put the trllis for each 4x4 on the far nne side (which for my purposes becuse of the pine grove counts like north) however I'm afraid itwill just shade all the plants in a box farther north.

if I were to move the 4x4 that has not been built yet to the other side of the garden left side of the garden in front of the 3x3 boxes and plant my 4 tomatoes in that box could that work?

I have fried my brain thinking about this but havn't come up with a solution. I've even used pencils th=at are 8ft tall using thescale in the diagram and a flash light helsd at the aprox. angel and postion oif the sun at different time of the day to map shadowes the plants will cast and still no ideas.

hmmmmm if I were to plant 3 of the 4 tomatoes from the 4x4 box on the left hand side of the 3x3 box with the cukes in it and move my cucumbers which are a bush type to the back of the closet 4x4 box were my late lettuce was going to go since the cukes only get to about 3ft tall they might not block the sun right? the 4 tomato would get stake in the front right habd cornner of the 4x4 box that is farther back with late lettuce behind it . would that work? ok enough of me rambaling got to cut this post short.

DLF

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

" if I were to plant 3 of the 4 tomatoes from the 4x4 box on the left hand side of the 3x3 box with the cukes in it and move my cucumbers which are a bush type to the back of the closet 4x4 box were my late lettuce was going to go since the cukes only get to about 3ft tall they might not block the sun right? the 4 tomato would get stake in the front right habd cornner of the 4x4 box that is farther back with late lettuce behind it . would that work?"

I thought about this idea a lot last night I think it might work but I'm still afraid the tomatoes might shade other plants behindt them. I could move the cukes to thewatermelon box move the watermelon behid the tomato and I could work things out that way. Please tell me what you think.

• peel
    15 years ago

Woven beds?? Pictures, please! If they're anything like what I'm picturing I'm sure they look really awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gumshoe Gardener

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here are a couple of picture of my beds one of the sides is made from slavaged wood on one of the beds pictured the others are woven. I'm proud of them anyway..

• lowraine
    15 years ago

I am new to the site, not sure how to start a post but this post is close to my question. Is it ok to set up my boxes with my vine plants on a west to north location?

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

Is there a legend for what will be growing?

I would not put a trellis on the south side. If you gave a reason, I didn't follow it.

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi, I would be putting my trellis on the east south east side of two of my boxes it's not really a problem for shading the other plants in the box becuse trees block the sun on that side my question is once the sun swings around to the south the sun will be shining straight down the row I'm not sure if the plantsfarther up the box will get shaded for an hour or so. I tested this out with a 3ft tall board and it won't be a big problem until say my plants get to be 8ft tall or so.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH