Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_croaker

Check to see if your zone has changed?

garden_croaker
15 years ago

http://www.nwf.org/gardenersguide/gardenzone.cfm

Global Warming Means New Garden Zone Maps

Many gardeners are familiar with the USDA's garden zone maps. They help us know which plants to put in our backyards. They are determined by examining rainfall patterns, sunshine and temperature.

The map below shows how the National Arbor Day Foundation has updated the map to reflect recent trends. This shows clearly how global warming is affecting the plants that we can plant in our backyards.

Comments (21)

• garden_croaker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Was zone 5...now zone 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Move the slider...see the change

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

That thing assumes a steady warming. when for the last 8 years or so the world has actually been getting cooler due to decreased solar activity starting in about 1998. It will continue to get cooler for at least the next 2-3 years....longer if the sun doesn't start getting more active starting tomorrow.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

That thing assumes a steady warming. when for the last 8 years or so the world has actually been getting cooler due to decreased solar activity starting in about 1998.

This is bullsh--. Please take this climate change denial cr-p elsewhere.

Thank you in advance.

Dan

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

I'm not denying climate change. It's a fact of life on earth. It gets warmer and cooler and has for as long as there's been an earth. Not only does the global climate change, but also regional climate. I have some very big reservations about any significant CO2 caused global warming. If you're going to worry about pollution worry about something that is both proven and based on facts. Acid rain, poisons released from different industrial processes, mercury, uranium and other heavy metals released by burning coal. Please don't attack me or insult me because my view differs from yours. It is a fact that the earth has been cooling recently. One that even the most fanatical of the man made global warming theorists have recognized. But of course catastrophic warming is just around the corner......

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I was a solid 5 before 2006 stats. Now I'm nearly a 6.

At what point should I start weaning my plants back to 5 or 5a? ;)

15 years ago

I have some very big reservations about any significant CO2 caused global warming.

Who cares.

Take it elsewhere, please, to RedState or some such where the Message Force Multipliers hang out.

If you have some gardening knowledge to share, great. Otherwise Go Away. Thank you in advance.

Dan

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

I agree this isn't the place for it. I was just saying I doubted it's accuracy given certain basic facts. My original post was relevant to the OP. Yours wasn't and neither were the last couple of our posts. That said I'm done.

• rosaearth
    15 years ago

My garden has moved from a 9 to a 10. I am changing my garden slowly but it will take time. Thanks for info.

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

I thought you might find of interest the AHS heat zone map. It shows the average number of days above 86F. My problem is that it does not show average days at higher temps.

As far as weaning your plants from one zone to another your plants will either change or not. Zones really mean very little other than allowing you to decide if you want to plant things as an annual or as potted plants to take in. If a plant is marked as a zone 10 and you live in Michigan you must decide if the plant is worth your time and expense to grow it.

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS heat zones

• snibb
    15 years ago

Typical tone coming from people who want "tolerance" but only if you agree with their viewpoint.

• queuetue
    15 years ago

So... dan_staley's in charge now?

• eaglesgarden
    15 years ago

Sorry for the off-topic message:

Dan,

Please don't try to intimidate other posters. Each person is entitled to their own views.

BTW, the SUN is more responsible for the climate here on earth, hence the seasons. So, if the sun's output decreases (which is documented to happen), the climate on Earth would cool.

• snibb
    15 years ago

"Who cares.

Take it elsewhere, please, to RedState or some such where the Message Force Multipliers hang out.

If you have some gardening knowledge to share, great. Otherwise Go Away. Thank you in advance"

One might think this is an attempt to intimidate others-you were way off on those two comments Dan

• jengc
    15 years ago

Eaglesgarden and Jeremyjs, I agree. Total control from the sun.

• daylilydude
    15 years ago

Well i'm with the majority here! There is a drastic weather change in alot of places, and as far my way of thinking it has alot to do with gardening! The way i see it Dan has his way of thinking, so be it, but i think because he doesn't like it he's gonna keep right on being hateful until GW closes this, so i would just ignore him and he will go away!

15 years ago

One might think this is an attempt to intimidate others-you were way off on those two comments Dan

Apologies for being too aggressive for some. Perhaps I am incorrect in assuming that climate denialism is off-topic for this thread, or that this is a place to exchange knowledge, not ignorance.

Regardless of my reaction, the topic is the zones have changed. There are new maps to depict the change. If someone has an ideologically correct zone map, feel free to post it here.

Dan

• garden_croaker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a list of global warming deniers and what they claim. Many are sponsored by polluters...conservatives.

Me...I'll go with the factually based consensus view.

Here is a link that might be useful: Global Warming Skeptic Organizations

• snibb
    15 years ago

That depends on what you call "consensus view"
    I'm an environmentalist. I believe in reduce/recycle/reuse.
    I'm also a conservative. Does that make me a polluter?

"US SENATE REPORT: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Dispute Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007"

"Now that NASA has corrected its US temperature records, the hottest year on record is no longer 1998, but 1934. Five of the ten hottest years since 1880 were between 1920 and 1940-and the hottest years since 1880 are spread across 7 decades. This suggests natural variation, not a warming trend." Washington Times, 9/12/07, Paul Driessen.

Good luck showing these are all conservatives. I could easily come up with a list of organizations getting funding for "global warming" and start with the name calling as well. This whole discussion belongs in another forum, not in gardening posts. I just get weary of people who know only one side.

15 years ago

Th[e rejection of evidence] discussion ... belongs in another forum.... I ... get weary of people who know only one side.

Indeed it does, especially wearying since one side presents excerpts from press releases written by the 'Swift Boat' author - as well as talking points developed by climate denial organizations (whose own scientists told them 15 years ago that "[t]he scientific basis for the Greenhouse Effect and the potential impact of human emissions of greenhouse gases such as CO2 on climate is well established and cannot be denied") - instead of presenting empirical evidence by climate scientists.

This is a site for exchanging information. Many here appreciate the exchange of actual information, such as the extent of how the climate has changed, necessitating a re-map of the climate zones. No attribution was given in the OP's entry.

Dan

(actual information source: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2008/images/latest_rankings_jan_to_nov.gif)

• snibb
    15 years ago

Neither was a press release. We will throw out the fact that the swift boaters were right-Kerry never gave them info to counter their claims. Driessan is not a swift boat author-he is involved in climate issues. Like I said, NASA-a very respectable scientific group last time I checked-doesn't agree with your theory. I'll stick with the scientists on this one. My point was simple: this topic is controversial, at best. At least you didn't call me a polluter! You see, people who are on the opposite ends of a topic can get along without all the names and nasty comments. By the way Dan, I did notice that my zone did not change. Has yours in Colorado? Now were back to the OP's question...

15 years ago

I'll stick with the scientists on this one.

Good for you, as virtually every major scientific organization on the planet has stated that man-made climate change is likely real, and here now.

And the non-scientific denialist organizations admit it too (albeit the report was buried), as I said above, & they insisted that the denialists "theories Âdo not offer convincing arguments against the conventional model of greenhouse gas emission-induced climate change".

Plus, the 400/650...then 602 "scientists" quote was indeed from press releases that announced reports authored by the Swift Boat creator (a report written by a PR guy, not a scientist). The excerpt from the WashTimes was a cut-paste from a press release announcing a book (written by a PR guy for CFACT, not a scientist). Both of these statements are mendacious distortions of reality, well-documented and long-ago refuted.

Fortunately, decision-makers and their staffs are not duped by press releases and most are fully versed in the scientific evidence (which is why we have maps depicting USDA Zone changes).

Dan

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction