Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohanatribe

Hello, it's another SFG newbie!

ohanatribe
14 years ago

We're starting our first SFG this year. We had plans to form a small CSA with several other families but that's on hold right now until next year at least. So we have decided to create our own 'yarden' at our house using SFG & other intensive raised-bed methods.

We're really excited to get started. Our first plantings will be in May for the summer crops and we plan on doing a fall crop as well.

I have LOTS of questions for those of you who have experience with these methods of gardening, which I'll ask in a separate message. For now I just wanted to post an introduction and say "hello".

Comments (2)

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Hi and welcome!

I wanted to donate a portion of my harvest this year, CSA style. I have about 150 SF of growing space and figured it would be enough for 2 families (it was for charity). Unfortunately I was told countless times by experienced gardeners that I wouldn't have enough space.
    Good luck with your garden and enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• ohanatribe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the welcome!

The CSA we're trying to create would involve mostly traditional gardening techniques on large plots of land because several of the other families aren't too hip about more intensive methods. We *might* get as far as wide-row planting and we're working toward a consensus on organic whenever possible, but that's probably as far as we'll get... no Square Foot Garden CSA, but wouldn't that be awesome?? Maybe if our SFG does well we can invite the other families over and give them something to think about!

Anyways, the CSA plans are on hold for the most part. We are doing a corn & potato field as a group effort this year though. It's a trial run to see how well we work together, if it's something we want to expand on next year, etc.

There are so many things to work out with starting a CSA, even a small-scale one like we're aiming for, like how to fairly divide the crop share, what fertilizers and pest-control methods to use, what types of plants and how much of each, who is taking responsible for each task, paying for supplies, deciding on timing (when to plant, water, spray, fertilize, harvest) and so on. Basically take all the decisions a person normally makes independently about their personal garden and imagine inviting a dozen other people to not only give their opinions but have a deciding vote, too.

It seems it would be a lot easier if you are just growing your own garden and donating a portion of the harvest to charity though!

For now we are happy to get rolling on our own garden. Depending on how it works out for us we might just have plenty to keep us happy and not need to participate in a CSA -- that would really simplify things. We've been interested in SFG for a while and we think it will be a good fit!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County