Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cutter44_gw

brown thumb looking for advice

cutter44
15 years ago

Hi all.

I've been reading and reading and reading these threads about square foot gardening and I must say I'm intrigued. It looks like something I could actually do. But I do have a couple of questions regarding what to plant.

We're in Massachusetts and I think we're almost past the chance of another frost. I'll probably end up with about a 4' x 8' area to plant. I know I'd like to grow tomatoes, but I'm trying to decide what else I could handle. I like the idea of summer squash and maybe broccoli. Is it realistic to try to grow corn? Strawberries? I'm thinking of what we'd like to eat, but I'm not sure what is reasonable to expect in a 6" deep box. And how many squares should I dedicate to each? Especially with something like corn, I would think that would limit any space for anything else.

I'm finding a lot of info here and all over the web about how to make the boxes, etc., but I want to be realistic about what to expect as far as results. Thanks in advance for any input. And of course, I'll keep reading through this forum.

Comments (5)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

cutter - corn will require 1 square per plant, and in such a small garden - won't give you your money's worth IMO. Typically, you only get one ear per plant, but can get 2 under the right conditions. I would maximize the possible yield for the space, by planting high yield veggies. If not controlled, 1 squash plant will gobble up half of your planting space, but that's one thing that is very productive! May I suggest planting one in a corner, then letting the plant sprawl out into the yard? With only 32 square feet to work with, I'd plant 2 squash at one end (zucchini and crookneck)some bush cucumbers in the middle, and tomatoes along the north side. Cole plants could be tucked in between the others. I hope this helps....

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Cutter, here is a really good website with gardens already planned, or you can plan your own and it tells you how many of each veggie fits in a sf. Their gardens are 3'x8', but you can stretch them out another foot on your own.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Garden Planner

• cutter44
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies. It's very helpful info. I didn't realize one corn plant might yield only one or two ears. That's not going to work. :)

And that website with the garden plans is great. Thanks.

One other question I meant to ask. Do you think it would be beneficial to buy plants already started or should I go ahead and start with seeds? I started so late last year that I ended up getting a tomato plant and growing it in a big bucket. I must admit having a plant already started is more encouraging for someone lacking patience.

• peel
    15 years ago

Do you know what planting zone you're in? I'm in CT, and if you're inland in MA you'd probably be generally following the same schedule as I am. You'd be too late to start broccoli from seed....I started mine 4 and 6 weeks ago and just planted out the second round in the garden yesterday. Cole crops don't tolerate heat, so it is recommended that plants be put out a couple weeks before the last frost date. Same thing with lettuce, spinach, and pea seeds (directly sown in the garden). But with those plants I'm sure you could get away with seeding them now, since they are quick growers. You might be able to get away with starting tomatoes from seed ASAP, but you'll have a late start on production. My tomato seedlings are 6 weeks old and I plan on getting them outside mid-May. You can start squash from seed now.

Hope that helps!

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I think with 4x8, skip the corn. I'd say squash/zucchini tomatoes & cukes like EG said, but I'd add a couple squares of salad greens (mesclun mix & spinach), and maybe a few pole beans (if you like beans).

In VT, we could get really good corn and strawberries grown locally, so I'm guessing you might be able to in Mass as well, so I'd use limited space for more productive things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

Sponsored