Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beginnerkelli

planting baby carrot seeds

beginnerkelli
14 years ago

i'm sowing my baby carrot seeds in one square. in the sfg book, mel says to cover the square with a plastic-covered cage. any suggestions on how to do that or what to use?

thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

I used the brown paper towel method a few weeks before planting. I just covered them w/ a thin layer of seed starting mix top and bottom.

I haven't read the book and haven't heard of the plastic covered cage.

Here is a link that might be useful: brown paper towel carrot seeds

• rlkennerly
    14 years ago

I just sow them directly on the soil. I haven't had a problem with birds eating them, and it's not particularly windy here. The last batch I planted I sprinkled vermiculite over them to help retain moisture. So far I've had success, but perhaps it's just beginner's luck...

I do know it seems to take them forever to germinate. Just when I've given up on them and want to replant the square there they come popping up.

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

I actually cover mine up. They take a little longer to germinate, but not much and they are usually right in place!

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks! what do you cover yours with, eaglesgarden?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I have the old old SFG book with the white cover. It has instructions on how to make covers for your crops. Have only glanced at the newest edition, I imagine it would have instructions as well. Certainly if I were running the show, the website would.

Dan

• queuetue
    14 years ago

Maybe I'm missing something - I just bury my carrot seeds about a half inch deep. I've been doing this for around 20 years, and didn't change the practice when switching to SFG.

Why are you sowing them on top of the soil?

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

this is my first time gardening. i followed the seed packet and planted them a little deeper than a 1/4". as for the cage, i cover my sfg at night with a chicken wire cage and a tarp. i'm hoping that's good enough. we'll see what happens once i get some sprouts! =)

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

I cover my newly sown carrots with a board until they begin to germinate, but here is the plastic cage you were looking for:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mel's Plastic Covered Cage

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow thanks! if the weather is warm, do i really need to cover my carrot sprouts? or do i need to protect them from wind?

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

beginnerkelli, I find it best to cover them (while the ground is damp) to keep the seeds from drying out, but you have to uncover them as soon as you see something growing. No, you really don't NEED to cover them, but it's something I usually do if it's dry and windy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• debstuart1
    14 years ago

What's the brown paper towel deal?

Ages ago I made some "seed strips" by putting seeds (not carrots if I recall) between two sheets of paper towel and putting them in a plastic bag of 'fridge (warm spot) and let them sprout and then planted them. Has anybody else done this? It would be cool to make a "square paper towel" 12x12 and then just lay it in the SFG after the seeds sprouted (at least I think it would...does anybody else??

DEborah

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that would be very cool to try, deb! i'm very new to growing so i just put the seeds in the soil and hope for the best! =)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor