Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beemer_gw

My husband is wonderful !

Beemer
14 years ago

He decided to build me my second 4 X 16 raised bed before planting time this spring!

Our fall delivered load of compost / dirt has finally thawed and there is not only enough to fill the one we built in the fall, there seems to be enough left over to fill the second (shorter) one we planned for the future!

Now I will have a tall bed for my short crops and a short bed for my tall crops! I should be able to fit in all the items I want without overcrowding or leaving anything out!

(Now to rearrange my plantings on paper!!!!)

Comments (10)

• joytosew
    14 years ago

An awesome hubs congrats on the second bed!

• heather38
    14 years ago

big hugs from me for your hubby, so long as you don't get jealous :-)
    and hopefully he will hug you back when you get the lovely veg :-)

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

Fantastic! The man over here just built me two more 6x4 beds last night. I can't wait to plant them.

• keski
    14 years ago

Mine too. He expanded my beds by another 48 SF. I printed off 4"x4" grids with 16 sf each. They are about an inch square on paper. Since I can't keep myself to one plan, I wrote the names of plants on small post-it notes and just stick them in the squares. Then when I move something, I just have to switch the post-its around. I can make notes at the bottom of the page, like dates or tips.
    Keski

• momstar
    14 years ago

Ah, I use the post-it note planning too. It makes it easy to rearrange things. I'm now on my 4th or 5th version of this year's beds. If you make the post-it squares 1"x1" and scale that to 1'x1' bed square it is easy to see what you have room for. Also, if you do succession planting just put the second planting post it underneath. you can lift up the top one to see what to plant after harvesting. The next best thing to planting your beds is planning them.

• angela12345
    14 years ago

That's awesome ! What a great hubby. I wish my bed could be bigger, but it is pretty maxed out for the area that gets sun (unless we take down some trees, hmmmmmm...).

Ribbit, no fair ! Your garden keeps growing & growing.

• marzy_the_gardener
    14 years ago

Grats on your new beds and kudos to your hubby!

We're doing the pre-planting scramble too this year.

Happy Gardening!

• Beemer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Keski and Momstar

What a great idea for movable squares on plans - post-its!

Should have the next bed ready by May 1. Going to have to order tomato cages -- now that I can splurge with space!

• jengc
    14 years ago

Beemer-Congrats! Oh how wonderful! I gotta get me a man like that :)

Momstar-OHH what a GREAT idea!! I have had trouble with my excel spreadsheet with successional planting. This is awesome!

• keski
    14 years ago

Momstar - I also plan succession planting by putting the post-its underneath. I think my squares are a bit bigger than an inch. I usually have to cut the ends off the small ones but not the bottoms.
    If you really want to be crazy, I also do this with clothing for travel plans.
    Keski