Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Determinant Tomato Spacing

Posted by stevesj76 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 15:48

Hello,

I am growing some determinant tomatoes for the first time this year. I'm planning on using CRW cages. So far I have only grown indeterminate plants on a trellis. I would like advice on spacing. The FAQ recommends "bush-type: 4/4sqft". Does that mean four plants in a four foot grid? I would have expected 1 plant per four square feet.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Determinant Tomato Spacing

-"I would have expected 1 plant per four square feet."
That is a 2x2ft sq., right?
You don't say if you plan to prune or how much?

I would say give them as much room as you can, until you can see for yourself -
1. IF you will prune
2. just how much room they do take up.

When I had a row garden, I would give each tomato plant 4ft. each way. I never pruned. Only watered and tried to keep them off the ground. Esp. difficult when they are loaded with fruit and the Sept. hurricane rains come.

To visualize this, That is one plant in each corner of a 4x4ft frame and nothing for another 4ft from each plant. By Aug. I could hardly squeeze in between the plants to harvest. I guess the plants were happy?

I would say give them as much room as you can, until you can see for yourself.

ps. If you plant in the shade - you won't need as much room ;-)

o

I planted a Bush Celebrity last year and did not prune (I don't think you're supposed to prune determinates). I would give it at least 4 sf (2x2) if not a little more.

o

I just put out 20 det toms at 1.2' spacing (20 in a 24 foot bed). Last year, I did 1 foot per on a trellis, and the pruning required was a little too harsh, in my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here