Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_croaker

Do you take your garden seriously?

garden_croaker
15 years ago

Can you see what is around the corner?

Here is a link that might be useful: Story here...

Comments (14)

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Oh yes. It is a result of people forgetting there roots and how things were done before the government did them for you. An example (like it or not, The Amish will not be affected by the coming times). You will have to learn to do things yourself (survival).

John

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Journal

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Very interesting, though albeit depressing article. It clearly paints a bleak future if things don't change. I for one am glad that this year my 2 and 5 year olds will each have their own garden to tend. Even if it is 2 SF, hehe. Gotta start them somewhere.

Thanks for sharing. Food for thought for sure!

• heather38
    15 years ago

ur! depressing yes, accurate???? can't tell??? first couple of paragraphs 95% of Americans have not discovered what major changes are under way!!! elaborate please...what changes? A professor said? which professor why not name him, that is like saying I meet a bloke in a pub who said, name your source! I could go on! I read the artical and got bored of noting the vaguaries, it was like a reading a small childs essay! I always check sources before reporting something, I read papers and if they say something I find horrifing, I check all sources before going wild! its amazing how many times that politics or religion have a affect on the writing angle of a piece, all writers have their own agenda, including me!

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

The changes caused partially by the cost of materials and the warming of the planet, greenhouse or not, If you go to almost any store you will see products to go green. To decrease your use of labor saving(energy costs) people will need to return to labor. Instead of drying your clothing in a dryer you are being encouraged to use a clothes line. Turn off all lights and use a lower wattage on those that you do use. If you have a living grandparent or know of someone that was an adult before all of the labor saving devices came along ask them what it was like. These are part of the changes that are coming.

You can include growing and preserving your own food. Eating what grows seasonally because the cost of getting the food to the consumer is too high for most to afford.

Some areas are already requesting people not to flush the stool unless there is solid waste. This is because of drought and too many people. There was a class in composting human manure in this area. I understand the class was full. Will we return to the chamber pot and outhouse I hope not but it could happen.

I know this sounds like wacky tabaccy but If you read some of the news from other parts of the country and the rest of the world you will start picking up trends that are really scary. British trends in housing reflect what we will be doing here. In this area all basement rooms must have a waist high window large enough for a person to exit and a ladder or stairs to get out. I saw this on one of the BBC programs years ago.

I believe that this particular article was written by someone that was asked to fill a space but did not want to do any research. Do some looking in your area at the things that you normally notice unless brought to your attention. Your produce section probably does not have as many types of produce and what is there is arranged in a single layer. This weekend is not a good weekend for looking because stores have special produce for Easter.

As for sources used you can always email the writer or publisher.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I don't understand, what does having egress windows in the basement have to do with anything? What trends in British housing?

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I wish people would put their political/religious posts in Politics or Religion forums.

"This forum is for the discussion of square foot gardening as well as other methods of intensive gardening"

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• garden_croaker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is not political or religious...it is a description of a coming "reality"? Science and statistics based. Not for those who want to pretend everything is OK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here...

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

"This is not political or religious...it is a description of a coming "reality"? Science and statistics based. Not for those who want to pretend everything is OK."

Maybe you should just title your post "The UNjoy of Gardening". Because your links to gloom and doom articles sure do tend to take the enjoyment out of it.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• snibb
    15 years ago

Go get'em Granny!

• heather38
    15 years ago

Well said Granny,
    I know garden crocker there are changes and funnily enough I did get what the writer on british housing was saying because I have just move from there to the US, windows have to be smaller and K glass these reflect heat in and out so less of you household heat is lost in the winter and is cooler in the summer, I had this type of glass installed one cold March day in 2006 and the heat in the house jumped by 2 degrees C once it was installed I was amazed, and no it wasn't due to the lack of windows haha I did the temp reading in the morning before they came in and by happy chance the temp outside the next day was the same and overcast, PS we didn't have heating in that house and it was always toasty in the winter, walls and roofs insulated.
    programable thermostates! could not believe the lack of these in the USA,we have them in our house but still have hot water all the time??? even when away? thats my oil!
    Air con don't know anyone in the UK with that appart from hotels and offices, but there again we don't have the humidity and temps you get in the US, that said I could hear neighbours in our appartment block air con thumping away when I was feeling quite comfortable, open a window! in houses open the hatch to the loft alot of hot air will go that way. as for washing lines where can I get one? I have hunted and hunted, they are realy flimsy here, wish I'd brought one with me... I only got a tumble dryer aged 35, 4 years ago! birth of twins, they will do that to you! anyway rant over good luck to us all and may your melons be ripe and your cucumbers long!

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I'm understanding Granny's point: we're somewhat of a non-reality based bunch, we're a gardening based bunch. We internally decided a while ago that if we posted things that were veering off, we would put them under a listing that starts with "OT". That way people can decide to read at their own discression. I might just suggest that's the better way to go about this in the future.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Ummm...discression=discretion, dang, I MUST be tired. STILL taking anti-biotics, lol. You'd think I would have killed every pathogen in twenty miles.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I get reality at work every day. Doom and gloom is the norm these days.

Hehe, I use my garden as a temporary escape, as many do.

Good point though Carolyn, this has become a definite OT thread.

As for the doom and gloom, nobody knows when it will be better, I just hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Oh, and try not to scare my family, hehe.

• garden_croaker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got my lettuce planted outside...1 month before last frost date. Now I just have to keep it from getting frosted.

My early planted tomatoes last year didn't gain much by being out early....though the roots might have grown some.

Just hope I'm able to use some lettuce before the end of the world happens.

And that's "garden_croaker"...not "garden crock". ;-)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville