Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trellising Tomatoes

Posted by sara-b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 16:16

Hello everyone,
Could you please share your experiences of trellising tomatoes in a SFG to this new comer!! I'd like to plant 6 plants- 2 sungolds, 1 sweet 100, 1 brandywine, 1 purple cherokee, 1 rio grande (determinate), and 1 polish linguisa. I'm not sure how much spacing I should allow for the indeterminate ones in my sfg. Any thoughts???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trellising Tomatoes

Lots of hits on a search. Many, many hits. My spacing on trellisi is 18".

Dan

o

Thanks Dan. Maybe I need a little help with this site b/c I can't seem to locate any of the hits you are referring to.

o

2 feet of trellis (and soil) per indeterminate variety....

EG

o

Search results for: tomato trellis

There were 1505 matches.

EG makes a good implicit point: I'm in a dry area, so my spacing is closer than in a humid area.

Dan

o

I did 12 - 16 inches (all cherry tomato varieties) and pinched most suckers last year.
It worked out fine.

This year I may move to 18 inch spacing and pinch fewer suckers and see how it goes.

o

Cherry tomatoes tend to spread.They don't get very tall but they will take up a lot of space if not trellised.They make good container plants for that reason.I set a wire cage into the pot (16" pot) for support.

o

2 feet for indeterminate tomatoes trellised

o

Thank you Daylily! Can I plan to plant basil or other smaller herbs between the plants in my square foot garden or will the trellised tomatoes take over that low as well?

o

The tomatoes will definitely shade out the basil and herbs. I do 2 feet along the trellis as well. 4 square feet total per plant.

Susan

o

If you are looking for something to plant under the tomatoes, try a cool weather crop...like lettuce...Pick early and often. Lettuce bolts in the heat quickly, but you could get some lettuce out of it. They can last a little longer in the heat if they are shaded.

o

Which tomato is the odd man out? I counted SEVEN, not six! lol

o

My favorite way to trellis tomatoes is the florida weaving and I plant at 18" apart for all tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here