Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfg_ratatosk

Looking ahead

sfg_ratatosk
14 years ago

Over the winter, I had gone through Mel's book and filled out a calendar with all the dates that things should be planted based on frost dates. Our last frost date here isn't until the end of May, so I've got a while before I plant my warm weather crops. But I was looking ahead and realized, our last frost is around September 23. Based on Mel's book, I have filled in that I should be starting my fall crop of broccoli inside on June 5th (1 week after last frost!) and planting it outside in July! I have a sneaking suspicion that any self respecting Broccoli is going to wither and die in the heat of July and August! If you can plant them outside before last frost in spring, why can't they still be outside after last frost in fall? In other words, shouldn't I wait to plant fall broccoli until later (ie. start inside in August, transplant in early Sept)?

Comments (7)

• bsntech
    13 years ago

Last frost date at the end of May? Wow, that is a very long time away!

Who did you get the info from about the last frost date? I'm in Central Illinois and our average last frost date - according to the U of I - is April 15th with the usual last frost date of May 1st.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• sfg_ratatosk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had found a few websites that listed May 23rd for Columbus and May 29th for Akron and I'm kind of half way between them. In trying to find them again to answer you, I just found one site that recommended subtracting 2 weeks from the first frost date and adding 2 to the last frost date, so maybe I'll try that this fall and next spring. I also found another one that says average last frost for us is Apr 26. I guess the May date is more of an absolute instead of an average. I wonder if I should go ahead and plant my tomatoes outside instead of transferring them to bigger pots....

http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/oh.html
    http://usagardener.com/breaking_ground/frost_dates_usa.php
    http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2007/02/14/average-frost-dates/

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

sfg I would check your extension agency. or a local Master Gardener I'm in Minnesota and my last frost date is may 5. Also the cabbage family will not roll over and die In the summer heat if it did you could not grow it as it takes a long season. It will stress but come back strong when cool fall weather returns. I am planting or harvesting cabbages every 2-3 weeks all summer long. Just wait for a few days of cool weather and harvest early in the morning for the best taste. BTW i have seedlings on my patio table in the full sun waiting to go into a square whenever I harvest. I will protect the seedlings from the wind and sun if it gets real hot and dry and they look too stressed out.

Curt #

• sfg_ratatosk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't had a chance to call the extension, but my mom (who lives about 50 mi south of me) said her frost date is May 15th. I figure ours is at least that, but we are far enough north to be in a different zone than her, so later is believable, especially today. We had frost yesterday and a FREEZE warning for this morning! I remember snow in May a few years ago. Ohio just has weird weather. What can I say?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Ohio just has weird weather.

One of the most common things that anyone anywhere on the planet says: _____ just has weird weather.

Nonetheless, you are in a higher USDA Zone than us, therefore your date should be earlier unless you are in a special microclimate. You may want to check at a reputable place, esp your County Extension. I'm hardening off peppers and Solanaceous transplants for planting end of week.

Dan

• susan2010
    13 years ago

If you Google frost dates by zip code, you'll find a site that explains this pretty well. (GW won't let me link to it - they say it is a source of spam. It's on a competing garden forum.) This is what it says for my zip code:

Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from October 8 through May 4.

Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from October 22 through April 22.

You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from May 17 through September 24.

Your frost-free growing season is around 157 days.

• sfg_ratatosk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I wish I'd found that zip code site earlier! Much better than the other sites I was finding, much more clear. It says...

Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from October 14 through April 29.
    Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from October 26 through April 16.

You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from May 12 through October 1.

Your frost-free growing season is around 168 days.

I was actually hardening off my tomatoes and peppers to plant soon too, but we've had highs in the 50's and high winds and thunderstorms, so they're happily in the window greenhouse again.

Sponsored