Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering systems

Posted by dmcl none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 17:01

Hello--I've attached a photo of the watering system I use, which I've evolved from a method employed by Charles Ledgerwood, a seed purveyor in Carlsbad, Calif. until his death a few years back. He described himself as a "retired Rainbird installer for the city", and that his system was the exact opposite of the high-pressure method; he used PVC pipes as 'tanks', with leak-holes drilled in them.
His rows were watered with straight pipes connected with a manifold at one end. I believe they were glued together, but maybe not. In any case at one point I started simply pushing the pieces together, which works fine since there's virtually no pressure.
From there it turned out to be convenient to turn corners using angles--after awhile the squares evolved, naturally. I don't know a lot about the square foot gardening system other than how useful it is to divide a plot up that way, but it seems obvious to me that this method of watering could facilitate the technique.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering systems

That's fine but some people used just 2 lines of PVC pipe going into their beds. The water soaking the general area would still be able to cover the bed.

However, that probably depends on other factors such as how many holes, how far apart they are, etc

So for example, in your system, you could probably do without a fully 3x3 grid. Maybe just a big 1x3 either horizontally or vertically (in the picture) and then use the other pieces for another bed.

Others also use adapaters from PVC pipe to hose fittings then run soaker hoses through their beds though the delivery system comes through PVC pipes or garden hoses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here