Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush bean spacing question

Posted by ezzirah011 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 17:09

The book said to plant 9 bush bean plants per square, I am considering what the back of the seed packet said is the spread of the plants and wondering if it is a good idea.

For anyone that plants bush beans, how do you space your bush beans?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush bean spacing question

For anyone that plants bush beans, how do you space your bush beans?

According to mature spread. I have no idea what 'the book' states.

Dan

o

Go ahead and plant 9 like the square foot gardening book says.

The one problem you may run into is not enough air flow between the plants. If this becomes a problem, pull out a few. You'll have to try it out. Or, you may want to try planting 4 or 5, and then a week or two later, plant the rest. That way they won't mature all at once.

I always plant most things closer together than what the packet says.

o

If this becomes a problem, pull out a few.

Or save yourself the waste of seed and time and water and instead space 6-8-10" first and obviate the need to kill something because of following a general guideline that doesn't pertain to everywhere and all varieties and skill levels and soil depths and etc.

Dan

o

I've planted bush beans 9/sf several times and they've done just fine. This year though, I'm going to try giving them a little more space and planting 4/sf or 6" spacing. I'm curious to see what, if any, difference it makes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o

I have never grown bush beans and I was looking at pictures online at full grown plants and wondering if they would have enough space at 9/sq. ft. I will plant one square with 9 one with 4 and see what happens!!

o

I planted bush limas last year at 6/square foot and that seemed about right. I think 9 would be too close...Not sure if regular bush beans would be different than the limas...

But based on what else has been said here, 6 seems like a good compromise between 9 and 4. :)

Best of Luck!
Susan

o

I've planted my bush beans six inches apart. Out of about 100 bean plants last year, we got over 50 pounds of green beans.

Might not be a lot compared to some other folks on here, but I think that is pretty good.

I use raised beds and don't exactly fill one square with the same thing - I usually plant green beans around the perimeters of the raised beds and then corn, peppers, or something else in the middle that doesn't require picking as often.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here