Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homertherat

Mel's Mix

homertherat
15 years ago

I was looking for materials for Mel's Mix today, and I was at the feed store (called IFA here in Utah) and one of the guys there told me they sold Mel's Mix already packaged for 10 bucks per 2 square foot bag. I didn't know they packaged it like this, already mixed, so I thought I'd tell you all.

I think it saved me money to buy it like this, plus the time it would have taken to mix it.

Just letting you know.

Comments (15)

• luke3026
    15 years ago

Not sure you save much money, but you can't argue with the convenience of buying it premixed. I was able to make/mix it myself for about $3.50 a cu ft. If I shopped around a bit more, probably could have done it for $3/cu ft. But it was a LOT of work to mix it and shovel into the beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luke's SF Victory Garden

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I totally agree that you can save money doing it yourself if you really shop around. Even still, it took 3 grown men a whole day to mix and fill 4 beds with 6.5 c yards of mel's mix. What's that worth? Hehe. Glad you found it local. I can't see paying to ship it.

• homertherat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah I was surprised. As soon as I said Square Foot Gardening, the guy's eyes lit up and it turns out they had an entire section of the store devoted to SFG. It probably helps that I'm located about an hour away from Eden, where SFG HQ is located.

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

Certainly Mel sells it at his site too. That is why I think it is a misnomer and definitely inaccurate when people call 'their' concoction "Mel's Mix". When it really is not and can be any combination of ingredients. They should be saying 'My Mix'.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.squarefootgardening.com

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

That is why I think it is a misnomer and definitely inaccurate when people call 'their' concoction "Mel's Mix"

If they are following "Mel's recipe", I would think it could/should be called "Mel's Mix". I believe it was called that long before it was commercially available under that brand name.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

Certainly you can call it whatever you choose. That is the wonderful thing about gardening ;-)

I find it misleading since it can contain an infinite combination and quality of ingredients to varying degrees. I am not sure why you would choose to mislead someone trying to help you when you are having troubles.

Perhaps there is some way to distinguish?

Just My Meaningless Opinion (JMMO)

• snibb
    15 years ago

1 large bag of vermiculte-$22(maybe more)
    1 large bag of peat-$9
    1 large bag of Gardner&Bloom compost:$20
    4 bags of Mels mix to do 1 4X4 at 6"-$40

If you live in Utah, you get it for $40-enough to fill one 4X4 at 6" deep...

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

"I am not sure why you would choose to mislead someone trying to help you when you are having troubles. "

Excuse me? I don't believe I have tried to mislead anyone that was trying to help me, and I'm not having any troubles. I also don't use Mel's Mix, the commercial one or one I could make on my own, following his personal directions as given in his books.

Granny

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I'm not sure why it's confusing. If you follow the recipe for Mel's Mix, you make Mel's Mix. If I follow the recipe for Toll House Cookies, I made Toll House Cookies. If you don't follow the recipe, don't call it Mel's Mix. I think it's less confusing if people (who followed the recipe) just say they used Mel's Mix, because it is a known recipe. I did not use it (heck, I don't even have a "real" SFG).
    I think being able to purchase pre-mixed Mel's Mix is a fairly new option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I filled my beds last April, and followed Mel's recipe to the "T". Oh yeah....it was alot of work, but I'm glad I did it myself, because I appreciate it more. Of course, it helps that the task of mixing - then transferring the ingredients is well within my physical abilities, too.

Gumby - If a person uses 1/3 peat, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 compost (any kind, any number of different sources) - then it is simply Mel's Mix. It's not "My Mix", because I'm not the one that came up with the recipe.

Granny - You, have gardening troubles? Ha! No way....you're one of the best ones I know. My feelings, are that you can show people alot better than tell them. :-)

EG

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

-Excuse me? I don't believe I have tried to mislead anyone that was trying to help me, and I'm not having any troubles. I also don't use Mel's Mix, the commercial one or one I could make on my own, following his personal directions as given in his books.
    Easy on yourself now. The you is generic meaning the Reader. Unless of course YOU are not having trouble. Then it refers the them & those.

So what do YOU call it when YOU don't follow the recipe?
    I'm just sayin There should be some way to distinguish. But how then?

"Certainly you can call it whatever you choose. That is the wonderful thing about gardening ;-)"

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

"-Excuse me? I don't believe I have tried to mislead anyone that was trying to help me, and I'm not having any troubles. I also don't use Mel's Mix, the commercial one or one I could make on my own, following his personal directions as given in his books.
    Easy on yourself now. The you is generic meaning the Reader. Unless of course YOU are not having trouble. Then it refers the them & those. "

Well you certainly did appear to be replying to my post, since I was the only one who had responded to you at the time.

Granny

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Gumby,
    I'm really not seeing the issue. The OP is looking for Mel's Mix (commercial or follow the recipe). The others who replied made no metion of modifying the recipe. I don't know where "misleading" anyone came in, and there really weren't any "troubles" in the OP's post.

Seems to me when people have modified Mel's recipe, they say so. I really don't see the confusion.

• korney19
    13 years ago

Does anybody use the ORIGINAL MEL'S MIX? (Not the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 mix.)

• korney19
    13 years ago

I should have posted the original recipe:

6 cf PEAT MOSS (3.8 compressed Bale)
    4 cf COARSE VERMICULITE
    3 cf SAND
    3 cf COMPOST
    2/3 cf WOOD ASHES
    1 can LIME
    1 can FERTILIZER

According to my soilmix/calculations page, it makes 125 gallons but the calculations page you can stick in the amount you want to make at cell N45 and it will recalculate all the ingredients for you.

Does anyone still use this version of Mel's Mix?

Here is a link that might be useful: soilmix/calculations page

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES