Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trellising bush beans

Posted by nyc_sod z7 Marietta (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 17:26

I have 3 squares of bush beans planted. Should I trellis them up a tepee type trellis or up the netting that I see in typical SFG setups?

Thanks!
T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trellising bush beans

I think if you try to trellis bush beans you will see them get to about a foot off the ground, and thats about it. Im wondering if your thinking about pole beans?

o

In the south we grow pole butterbeans. This is my first year with sfg, I plan to trellis my beans tomorrow. In a large garden you will have a post in the ground, another one maybe 10 foot away and a wire top and bottom between the poles with string going up and down wrapped around the wire. The beans will climb up the string, the vine will go as far as the string will allow. I am still thinking as far as the sfg goes.

o

Nope. Bush beans don't need it. Pole beans would.

Bush green beans in July (planted end of May/early June).
Bush yellow beans are at the other end of the bed.

From Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

Yellow bush beans in August:

From 2008 Garden

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o

I don't trellis my bush beans either. Pole I do, using 1/2 in conduit from HD and garden twine (~ 2.39 for 10 ft, with clamps two trellises are around $10-11).

Dan

o

Doh!!

I planted 3 squares in the back row thinking they would need trellising. The seeds have already sprouted a few inches.

Should I transplant them so I make use of the back row for something else?

o

Why not just let them grow until you harvest the beans. Bush beans are finished after about two weeks of picking, then you could replace them with pole beans and have beans to pick for the rest of the season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here