Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic crop rotating?

Posted by disneynut1977 5A Syracuse NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 17:34

I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a little worried, but to my amazement they all came up beautifully. I want to do more next fall, but am very limited with full sun area's (I have ALOT of full size tree's). I got a bunch of free white cedar picket fencing from my step-father, so I want to make more raised beds. The fencing is about 20yrs old, but looks to be in very good shape. I was thinking I could fit 2 bed's total, 12'long x 4' wide. I was thinking 1 bed full of garlic per year would be enough for my family. I did 8" spacing of my garlic planted last fall and I would go 6" spaing from now on.

So because I am limited in space for rotating, 1 year a bed is garlic and the following year put herbs in the bed and switch my garlic to the second bed? Or maybe do garlic 2 year's in a row than switch and grow herbs the same bed?

Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic crop rotating?

disney..I dont know if this answers anything for you, but, if it were me, I would plant 9 garlic plants per square. Then, I always follow the basic rotation of fruit/root/leaf. If you plant a root(garlic), you then would follow that with either a leaf(ie spinach, lettuce, etc.)or a fruit(beans, broccoli, tomato, etc). So, you then get this natural pest control, and you get a good and safe rotation per each square foot...just an idea

o

I planted garlic in my sfg this week, this is my first year, my garlic came from the grocery store, was that ok?

o

It should be just fine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here