Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hellbender_gw

engineeredgarden critter protection knockoff

hellbender
14 years ago

I was impressed with the design you posted previously. My adaptation is shown. The deer here are a real problem. I enjoyed building this. It looks great, works well in terms of accessability. I hope it does the job. Thanks.

{{gwi:1269199}}

Comments (23)

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

OMG! We're twins! Ha....I like it alot! Do you have any pictures of it on photobucket that I can see better? If any modifications were made - do tell! That totally made my day...

EG

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

I just have to do this.....Hey Granny!!!!! Look, It's another "Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics Hurdles Garden" Ha!

EG

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

Hellbender and EG,

Those are some really nice looking beds and trellises. I use conduit pipe frames, they work well for me but don't look nearly as nice. Thanks for sharing your pictures it gives us something to wish for.

Good gardening, Mary

• hellbender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The major modifications were as follows:

Since I may only be living here a few years, I wanted to be able to readily dismantle and relocate the structure. I therefore did not concrete encase the vertical posts. I sunk them about 18" deep, made sure they were well-tamped and further secured them to the sides of the raised bed with a couple of 5" lag screws. This provided plenty of stability to support the fence sections.

{{gwi:1269203}}

I used light duty metal fence posts. They were less expensive and eliminated the need to grind of the "wings" which fit within the width of a 4" X 4" treated post. I used 8" nylon cable ties to secure the wire mesh to the fence post. I found these easier to work with than wire and this made it easier to adjust the tension on the fabric. We will see how durable they are. So far. So good. The welded wire mesh is 60", as are the fence posts. This necessitated drilling a couple of extra holes in the posts to provide attachment points.

{{gwi:1269205}}

The bed sides are constructed of rough-sawn 2" X 8" hemlock heartwood. All components not is direct contact with the planting mix are treated lumber.

{{gwi:1269207}}

{{gwi:1269209}}

Spring radishes in the new bed:

{{gwi:1269211}}

Enjoy!

hellbender

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Always a pleasure to see things thought thru and implemented in such a nice way.

Dan

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Wow, a spitting image. And amzing work indeed! I love that you found a way to make the fence without grinding the wings. That always scared me as I don't have that tool.

What I also see is room to expand! Very cool. Nice work!

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

sing with me...to the tune of Howdy Doody:

Iiiiittttttt'ssssssss Stuuuuuuuuuu-pid QUEStion time
    It's stu-pid QUEStion time
    It's stu-pid QUEStion time
    It's stu-pid QUEStion time!

How do you get into it???

• hellbender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

See engineeredgarden's original link for how to get in:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg061044201627.html?10

hellbender

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

If I can ask, how do YOU access your garden?

• hellbender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's very easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Get In

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

The lightbulb has gone on...I figured it was something like that, but I missed something in the tee post connections. I now understand...Very nice!

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

ahhh!!! "I see!" said the blind man!
    (I wasn't on this forum in 08, and missed the original design post.) Thanks!

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

hellbender - very nice.....What veggies are you gonna try on the trellises?

EG

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Nice...but you might want to rethink those nylon cable ties. I have a house rabbit, and I constructed an outdoor cage for him with wire panels and cable ties. One summer of sun, and the ties got brittle and broke at a touch. I'm wondering if hog rings would work for you.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• hellbender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

EG,

Muskmelon, pole beans, tomatoes and cucumbers. I am also planting bell peppers adjacent to a trellis in case they meed a little support. Thanks again for the idea.

What veggies are you gonna try on the trellises?

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

Granny - that's why I went with electric fence wire on my fencing....

hellbender - ok, you'll love trellising those varieties on there. I noticed you didn't place the end trellises 12" in from the end.....Although mine are that way, I do have concerns that the deer will eat the veggies trellised without protection....So far, no problems though....
    Oh man...I can't wait to see that garden filled up with stuff!

EG

• hellbender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pictures of the growing season well underway. Things are going reasonably well.

Cabbage, Turnips, Pole Beansd and Beets:

Yellow squash and bell peppers:

Tomatos, lettuce and basil. Void was harvested radishes.

Corn succession plantings:

Tomatos, kohlkrabi, cauliflower, onions (some bolted, yuk):

Broccoli and carrots:

Enjoy!

• hellbender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pictures of the growing season well underway. Things are going reasonably well.

Cabbage, Turnips, Pole Beansd and Beets:
    {{gwi:1269213}}

Yellow squash and bell peppers:
    {{gwi:1269215}}

Tomatos, lettuce and basil. Void was harvested radishes.
    {{gwi:1269218}}

Corn succession plantings:
    {{gwi:1269221}}

Tomatos, kohlkrabi, cauliflower, onions (some bolted, yuk):
    {{gwi:1269222}}

Broccoli and carrots:
    {{gwi:1269224}}

Enjoy!

• stitchintime23
    14 years ago

A thing of beauty!

• hellbender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been away from gardening for a long while but I guess it's like riding a bike.

• medontdo
    14 years ago

that does look beautiful!! and i love the set up!! ya, ya can't go wrong with eg's designs! he does great!! **big smile**

• jengc
    14 years ago

Yeah EG has GREAT designs. I just need someone to come and put them together! I just get overwhelmed thinking of putting something like that together.

• shawnann
    14 years ago

This is the first time I have seen this...both yours and EG's. They look soooo beautiful! I wish I could get my husband to build something like that! And all the veg's and flowers look so nice an healthy!

Happy Gardening
    My Garden Blog

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES