Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do my proportions look good? ;)

Posted by catsgurleygirl 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 18:40

Okay, raised beds are finished, just need placement-they are heavy!! The size is 4'x8'x15", we will run two beds end to end and have two sets of these to start. Do my proportions for putting in veggies look right? Please excuse yellowing leaves, I started seeds super early and I think my plants are dying to get in the beds!! Also, do I need to separate different varieties of my hot peppers? For example I'm growing Trinidad scorpions, Bhut Jolokia, De Arbols and Thai chilies, they will be differing heat strengths, can I grow them closely together or do I need to separate them? I don't think we are growing any mild peppers. If my memory is correct if you grow hot peppers next to mild peppers you can end up with mild hot peppers or hot mild peppers, lol. Also, I can't decide if I need to grow two tomato plants across or three tomato plants three seems a little crowded. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do my proportions look good? ;)

With two tomatoes:

o

Three tomatoes (looks like it will end up being too crowded to me):

o

Trinidad Scorpions and Bhuts:

o

• Posted by slowjane USDA 10 - Sunset 21 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 15:44

If you're doing Square foot gardening - you just need to follow the chart ;) That's the central aspect of the method. http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/plant-spacing/

And you need to grow your tomatoes vertically. Do you have the book?

I discovered recently that apparently the pepper myth is really a myth. They can cross pollinate as far as seeds go though so if you plan to use seeds then it might matter. But won't affect your fruit this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spacing SFG

o

Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 15:47

Here's a link -

Here is a link that might be useful: The new book

o

Thank you-you know I haven't read the book at all. Part of it's because I've heard good things and bad things about it, some people say that the plant spacing can just be too close together and that some of the ideas are good in theory, but don't quite work out in real life (corn comes to mind). That being said, I'm sure I should read the book. :). I have just been going on anecdotal information about what people of had good luck with and just trying to feel my way out from there. And you know, I don't think that I've seen just a beautiful square-foot garden but I thought wow, I want that. I guess I just have trouble finding late-season pictures of gardens. I've seen beautiful pictures of early square-foot gardens but I want to see the finished results, how does it look at the end of the season, how does it produce. Anyway thank you for your comments and suggestions I do appreciate it. Are you an avid, by the book square-foot gardener?

o

Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 20:50

Well, I should say I'm new to it - and not so avid and by-the-book per se but I think it gives you a good place to start - there are so many variables in gardening - light, orientation, climate, seasonal changes etc - that I think I was interested in it as a kind of basic baseline approach to try - and then see what works in my garden.

You're right about there being many more pictures of brand-new SFG and not so many of it mature - anyone out there want to post some hint hint? ;)

I just suggested going by the book for your first try here - since we are in the SFG forum and I think the idea is that it sort of takes the guessing/eyeing out of it. Plenty of people will say you can't grow plants this close together - I just posted about okra - and one person said no way that their plants were 3'x3' and then another person posted their success with okra in 1 sq. foot. Just goes to show you...

I planted my winter crop before I had the book - and realized I had sort of accidentally done the method because I decided I didn't have to worry about row widths since my beds were 4'x4' and I made my seed tape based on the plant distances throwing rows out the window. Which totally worked by the way! Only problem was I had way to much of each thing at any given time for our kitchen - and rotating by squares is a good way to keep variety all season long. One of my favorite things about it.

Did you get all your veggies planted? I would definitely suggest going vertical with the tomatoes - I have mine trellised and so far so good, 1 to a square.

o

Here are some photos. Not sure if you mean mature plants or mature beds. Sweet potatoes 7/5/13.

This post was edited by yolos on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 21:49

o

Okra - 1 per square 7/5/13 on the right and carrots on the left side

o

3 x 8 x 10 inch high bed. Dragon tongue beans on the left, Pink eye purple hull peas in the center, Santa Anna pole beans on the trellis on the right.

o

Chinese green noodle beans on the right, Chinese red noodle beans in the center, bush beans on the left.

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:31

Wow - really nice yolos! Thanks for sharing.

A couple of recent photos of my new spring/summer crop can be found at the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: garden blog

o

Sold!!! Looks amazing! Are you a by the book square foot gardener? Was reading about growing tomatoes with the single stem method, do you do that? Also, how many summer squash plants would you plant in a four by a eight bed-bush variety? Garden looks beautiful. Thanks so much.

o

I am somewhat a by the book square foot gardener. When it comes to the soilless soil mix (Mel's Mix) I go by the book. My natural soil is hard, red, Ga clay. Impossible to work in until it is conditioned over many years. I love being able to stick my hand down into nice soft soil.

My bed height is usually 10" tall and sometime 12". I went higher than the book because of the heat and drought experienced in Ga. I like the extra room for mulching and conserving water.

The book kind of leans toward a square of this and a square of that. Well, I like all of one type vegetable to be all together (ie a row of squares of beans not just a square here and there). It makes it easier to water specifically for that vegetable and treat for disease or insects if all the similar types of vegetables are together. And also I am an old row gardener and set in some ways.

I also do not follow all of the spacing suggestions in the book. I try the spacing the first time I plant something but then the next year I adjust. For instance, 9 bush beans per square will work but finding the actual pods means bending down and sorting thru the vegetation to find the pods. So now my max beans per square is 5.

Tomatoes - I tried spacing 1 per square foot but did not like it. That close together you have to remove suckers and train to one stem. I couldn't keep up with that and with the intense sun here in Ga I need vegetation to protect the growing fruit.

Squash - I am at work and can't remember what the book says about spacing. I built 2' x 2' small beds for some things. I put yellow squash in them last year and they did fantastic until the SVB hit them. This year I am planting them in a 3 x 8 bed after my brassicas are finished. That bed has tulle covering to keep the bugs out so I will try to fit as many as possible in that bed. But because the covering will not allow the squash to hang over the side, I doubt I will be able to fit too many in the bed. 7 squash/zucchini max, maybe more like 5. I don't really need 7.

o

Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 14:06

re: summer squash - mel says one per 3'x'3' of planting space - i.e. 9 squares per bush plant. they get big!

i'm doing an experiment with a zucchini planted in a corner that i'm going to try to grow vertically in a cage.

i have way less square feet than yolos though so the square by square method is good for me. i've got 2 4'x'4 beds total. ;)

o

Very cool-thanks for your responses! Looking forward to trying out these methods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here