Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two bed building questions.....

Posted by nbreau (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 18:42

I'm getting a great price on some rough sawn cedar. I was wondering, does anyone know if it can be easily sanded or if something can easilly be done to make them less splinter prone ? I'm building 4 4x8 beds.

Is the best treatment to use linseed oil ? If so where should i be able to find some ? Somewhere like home depot ?

thanks,
Nick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two bed building questions.....

Wear gloves while making the beds. IF it were me (iiwm), I wouldn't worry about sanding or treating them with anything. I have untreated pine 8y/o now.

HTH

o

Nick - My big bed is made with rough cut cedar, too...I didn't sand it at all, or coat it with anything. It should last until I retire! Good luck with your bed, and I was wondering how your watering setup worked out?

EG

o

watering setup is still in the works, i managed to find 4 50 gallons barrels which should do the trick.

My only concern at this point is that i read that you need to be careful collecting water from roofs with shingles, that the tar used to make them is toxic and that you shouldn't even water your lawn with them.

o

::Gumby wonders where that toxic water ends up if you don't use it?::

o

Great question gumby. My water runs off my roof, down the gutters and eventually ends up on my lawn!!!

o

Some folks like to make a big deal out of things we have done for years. My grandfather used the roof water to wash his dishes, etc. He said his 13 fingers came in real handy for that ;-)

o

I agree, Gumby. BTW, the 13 finger thing was pretty dadgum funny! Ha!

EG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here