Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question on setting up raise beds with composite decking

Posted by growingadvice 4b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 19:54

Hi, I have 3 4x20ft raised beds, about 12 in high.
They are in a slight slope.
I'm looking to replace the current beds ( which have falling appart non pressure treated wood) with composite decking (im thinking 2 1x6 board for a 12in hight, or there abouts).
I'm looking for advice.

things like, what type of bracket?
best type of stake to avoid bowing?
how far appart each bracket should be?

or any other adive.

thanks.

Western MA

PS, I'm not sure which section of the forum I should post this on. I posted on accessable gardening, but while doing some research, I saw that quite a few people talk about raised beds in this section, so I posted it here.

If i'm still not sure if this is the correct section, if it's not, please point me to the correct one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question on setting up raise beds with composite decking

This is the "for cheap" way so highly honored here at Mouldy Acres:

If you drill a vertical hole through the 2X6 boards you can use a small rebar through the holes and down into the ground to tame any bowing. However, since the bottom board is constrained from bowing by the soil it sets slightly down into, you only need to tie the upper board to the lower, and you can use 8 or 10 inch spikes too..

This plastic stuff also takes screws well, and any cheap framing bracket in the inside corners attached with 1" or so drywall screws should be pretty much unnoticeable.

o

hmmmm, dont seem to have 2x6 around here, only 1x6's!

thanks.

o

Would 1x6 be to flimsy?

o

Not sure about composite decking. Is it treated wood? You don't want chemicals leaching into your food supply.

Why not used Cedar??

1 x whatevers are fine, but do you really need to make them 20 feet long? I'd use cedar and use 12" wide boards rather than two 6" wide boards. Just seems like it would be cheaper and a lot less hassle. Cedar will last years and it will not put chemicals into you food.

I'd recommend splitting your 20 ft long beds into 2 ten foot long beds, especially if you were to use cedar.

I made a 12 x 3 bed out of 1x12x12 cedar last year. I buried the lower 1/2" to keep the bottom from bowing and then just ran a 1x1 cedar post between both sides right at the midpoint. This sucks both sides in a the top and aesthetically, creates separation in the box.

If you are dead set on using composite decking material, then just run a few 1x1 railings posts between the sides.

I know, picture quality not so good, but it was through a screen with my phone, so didn't expect much. Anyway, you get the idea.

And yes, it is snowing in Minnesota today!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here