Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowraine

Wood mulch

lowraine
15 years ago

Can we discuss different types of wood mulch that can be used around the raised beds? I have redwood, cherry, walnut and cypress from time to time. I have discounted the walnut because it is harmful to breath therefore, I figure it can't be good for the plants. I also made my boxes with spruce pine and another pine that I had that is harder and heavier. I know they will not last but later I will probably replace them with cypress.

Comments (9)

• homertherat
    15 years ago

I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't know if any of them will be harmful to your plants. If you're just paving a path or whatever then I don't know how it would be harmful.

I think that any mulch would be fine.

• cjtinkle
    15 years ago

Gosh I hope it's okay, I'm nearly finished mulching around our new raised beds. I used cypress.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1269431}}

• mustard_seeds
    15 years ago

wow CJ - what a nice job!

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

I just use the mulch from whatever I put through the wood chipper and also the leftover sawdust from my woodworking.

I would not use walnut.

• lowraine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

,jtinkle, nice looking garden, I also like yours Mike. Looks like none of us like to go small. I haven't mulched between the beds yet because my sawdust at the moment has walnut mixed in with cherry and cypress. I could go buy something but I am trying not to do that. I pick up my mel's mix today.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

lowraine,
    Is free mulch available in your area? Here, the county has a place I can get it. Check with your city or county. Was there Christmas tree recycling in your area? There may be mulch available...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• cjtinkle
    15 years ago

Thanks all, Mike your garden is gorgeous! Like you, we plan to use wood we chip ourselves to maintain everything, but it took so much mulch to go around the beds, and the house... down three 70 foot rows of blackberries and three 30 foot rows of grapes, around all the fruit trees.... that we couldn't possibly chip it fast enough to get everything planted this year!

• farmboy66
    15 years ago

im gonna use my cities FREE mulch its a hodge poge of everything,was thinking bout putting down a lil N. and screening some of this free stuff ,the real fine stuff,and using it in my beds round my veggies.best thing is they will even load this at certain times of the day.make friends take a cold drink or ice cream bar occasionaly u will b amazed at what a lil kindness will do 4 u!

• lowraine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just lined my beds with red oak chips. I think it looks good myself and when I get another bagful from the shop I will add more.