Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spicy_chicken

For some of our peppers and spices. Raised Beds

spicy_chicken
13 years ago

Just thought we would share.

Any Questions!

{{gwi:1269446}}{{gwi:1269448}}{{gwi:1269449}}{{gwi:1269451}}{{gwi:1269443}}{{gwi:1269455}}{{gwi:1269457}}{{gwi:1269460}}{{gwi:1269463}}{{gwi:1269465}}{{gwi:1269467}}

Comments (5)

• ribsyhuggins
    13 years ago

interesting hope utilize all that empty space

• precioushoney
    12 years ago

Those are pretty cool looking. I would be afraid of bees taking up residence in the tubes tho. Do you have anything in them? And how are the tubes being held together?

• spicy_chicken
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks precioushoney

This is the forth year growing in them and no bees so far, I think they like to stay dry and there is no overhead shelter in the pipes, If you look at pic #11 there is a close up of the top of the pipes, you can see that we screwed them together from both directions, this year I banded them with steel strapping about 6 inches down from the top. Time will take it toll on the screws from pressure, so just being safe then sorry!

Not right for SQFT but here is 2 pics of the main garden, and what you can see is about half of it,

Thank you for your interest, Jeff

{{gwi:1269471}}

{{gwi:1269472}}

• lilion
    12 years ago

Okay, I have to ask...why? It looks really cool and clearly works well, but you have so many and so much land, why not just plant in regular rectangular boxes? Did you just have a ton of PVC pipes to get rid of? Why make them so tall? That must have taken a TON of soil to fill in. Can you tell us why you chose these materials and design?

• spicy_chicken
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First off I will answer the Q's backwards, I do not like to bend over to pic anything but I will have to in the big garden anyway, that is why they are so tall.

They did take a ton of soil literally but it is free right here on the property and just used the skid steer to fill them.
    Rectangle boxes require lateral support especially if they are two feet tall, circles on the other hand have even pressure all the way around so retaining the soil is as simple as banding the unit.

I bought 1000 6 foot 3 inch plastic pipes off eBay for $20 and yes that is for all. Originally thinking I would use them for electric fence post, but sold the cows so now what do I do with a thousand pipes?

What you see is the end result, works very well the black pipe draws the heat in the spring and help warm up the soil and I also fill the pipes with water; that also heats up during the sunny days and helps heat the young seedlings at night.

I almost grow exclusively hot peppers since I have a website where sell dried hot peppers, this year over 2000 plants and will up the ante next year, business is good.
    Thanks SC