Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowraine

Mel's soil mixture

lowraine
15 years ago

What do you think I would get in success in my plantings if I used 1/3 compost to 2/3 peat moss?

Comments (8)

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

Since peat offers no nutrients for your plants, I am not sure why you would want to do that? My guess is the soil would look and feel nice but your plants would be puny. Then you'd be asking what is wrong with Mel's Mix? It's like adding twice the water to your soup recipe. Just not the same.

If it were me (but it's not) I would add more compost in place of the peat. in fact, I would make it compost, compost, & compost ;-)

But that is me.

Compost is the ONLY thing in the recipe that has ANY calories ;-) Vermiculite is really only a filler that makes the soil light and airy.

• lowraine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gumby, you know you make a lot of sense. Maybe compost only would be a good idea. Just stopped by a lumber supply building this afternoon and looked at their compost. Doesn't look bad but does it smell.

• snibb
    15 years ago

The reason Mel calls for vermiculite in his mix is not for filler. Its true that is has no calories to speak of, but, it holds water, and lots of it. Thats the reason for vermiculite. And, if your compost doesn't smell good, something is not right. I wouldn't try to short-circuit the soil..do it right the first time and you wont be sorry...

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I might try to locate another source of compost if it smells bad.

• lowraine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Snibb, doesn't the peat moss also hold water? Why not use 2/3 humus and 1/3 peat moss. If you were not trying to get mels mix, would the following be a good mix?

• avalonna
    15 years ago

I'm new to SFG and raised beds, but have been gardening for years. I'm a BIG fan of compost. My new beds are filled with a modified Mel's Mix; I used 1/2 compost, 1/4 peat, and 1/4 vermiculite. Like gumby said, the compost is the only thing in the mix that has any nutritional value.

It feels a little weird to be gardening without good ol' dirt. I've worked hard to make the soil in my garden high quality by adding lots of compost and organic matter. Now Mel says that's unnecessary. His method is certainly easier, but I have some reservations about the no-soil part. That's why I upped the compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northeast Kingdom Localvores (my blog)

• lowraine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have decided on 1/3 peat moss and 2/3 humus with manure. Make adjustments next year if I see the need.

• snibb
    15 years ago

I think peat moss is used primarily to make the soil nice and fluffy. It might hold water, but, not too much-hence the puddling effect when some put it all together and water for the first time. If you cant do the Mels mix, I liked noobettes combination. I wouldn't worry about the no-soil part. This stuff has all been tested and used by many people successfully. I was that way when I began myself...

Sponsored