Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngabriel_gw

Summer Garden Confusion, Help!

ngabriel
15 years ago

Hello all!

I am at a loss, I've searched and there are so many factors here, I have no idea which way to turn at this point. I started a garden with Lettuce plants, swiss chard seeds, cauliflower seeds, broccoli plants, endive seeds and spinach seeds.

Well, squirrels came and dug up ALL my seeds! So, here I am with more then half of my boxes empty and it's HOT may in Georgia! I need to know WHAT I can plant. Can I plant ANYTHING from seed this late? Hubby says beans are OUT in the summer, cause beans eat the leaves, true? WHAT can I plant in the summer, that will do well for the summer and are not too difficult to grow?

n

Comments (14)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Okra, squash, cucumbers, melons, tomatoes, peppers, corn, etc....

EG

• oasis_226
    15 years ago

Fear not. The growing season here in GA is long so if you're willing to water you can plant nearly anything this year. The cooler weather stuff you will need to wait on until July/August.

I'm outside of Atlanta, and I just planted several things from seeds.

Watermelon,
    Cantaloupe & Honeydew
    beans (bush)
    Beans (pole)
    watermelon
    pumpkin
    corn (next week when I get the time, and again a month after that for 2 batches)
    okra

I also planted tomatoes, squash (could have been seed), zucchini as plants.

Don't know where the idea that you can't plant beans came from. You can't plant peas now (cool weather crop) but beans love the heat.

You probably want to stay away from "cool weather" crops at this point, such as leafy greens, Brussels sprouts (July), carrots, etc.

• ngabriel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok cool!
    Okra - NOT, hubby hates the stuff!! he says whatever it cures, he'll die of! HA!

I'm glad to hear about the beans though!
    So do you think all these things can grow from seed? I would love to grow watermelon! can you do that from the sq ft? you just let the melon hang over the side, right?

• oasis_226
    15 years ago

Seed is fine for everything. I'd probably buy tomato plants though. You might also buy the squash to try and get a crop in before the squash bugs try and kill the plants.

Two options for the watermelon. Get a small one like sugar baby and you can trellis it (I think EG does) or plant them square foot and let them roam 5-10 feet

I trellised cantaloupe and it worked fine, but I let watermelons (big and sugar baby) wander. Let honeydew wander too.

Okra loves the heat and it's got a pretty, big flower.

Sweet potatoes also did well last year and didn't plant until may. Same with butternut squash.

Good luck!

• ngabriel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, cool! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the guidance! Lets see, I have some seeds.. I have:

Cowpeas (black eyed)
    Fava Beans
    State White ? (not sure what that is, got it from my local farm supply)
    Squash (black beauty Zucchini)
    Eggplant

Are these ok to do from seed in the ground at this point, or do I need to do them inside and transplant? If I do them outside, HOW do I keep the blasted squirrels out of my sq. foot!??

Oh, PS.. I have a SQ ft, hubby has a regular garden.. Why is his lettuce growing so much bigger than mine? they're from the same batch! :-(

• eaglesgarden
    15 years ago

Cowpeas - NO
    Fava Beans - Yes
    Sqaush - Yes
    Eggplant - Yes

Try chicken wire. Make a chicken wire box that has the same size base as the plants you want to grow and place it over the entire box. (Detailed in the book) This should be able a foot tall or so. By the time your plants are that size, remove the chicken wire box, the plants should be large enough that the squirrels won't be interested.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Eaglesgarden - I'd like to kindly disagree with your recommendation on not planting cowpeas. The OP lives in Georgia, and cowpeas thrive in the southern heat. They grow excellent in sfg, with 4 seeds planted right down the center of each square. Please accept my criticism as constructive, and not malicious.

EG

• ngabriel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, cool.. so cowpeas are in with the rest! yaay..

Ok, STUPID question, I suspect, but 4 right down the center.. meaning across the surface, right? Not on top of each other?

So, I am thinking I can plant:

Cowpeas
    Fava Beans
    State White Bean (?)
    Butternut (OR black zucchini) Squash
    eggplant
    Bell Peppers
    watermelon
    Pumpkin

Now to go and lay it out somewhere, any ideas? Yaay! I'm so excited!!!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    15 years ago

You may want to purchase an eggplant that has already been started if you really want eggplant. You have a pretty long growing season but they can take a while. You could do an experiment and try one that is from a nursery and start seeds as well.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

ngabriel - here's my cowpeas from last year.

EG

• ngabriel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi! Tish tosh, Yes, I forgot to mention, the eggplant, butternut squash, bell peppers, watermelon & pumpkin are going to be plants!!! Thanks! :-D

EG!! AHHHHHH, I seee.. Thanks!!! I'm so excited!!!

all, any advice od how much of each crop to plant? EG, is 4 across how you do all your beans? anyone know off hand how many of the others go in each box?

n

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I only do cowpeas this way....

EG

• heather38
    14 years ago

I lost all my peas I planted as seed, at first I thought I had forgotten to plant then as the soil was undisturbed, planted again and again gone, the peas I have are good plants from those I transplanted,although I read they don't transplant well I only lost one plant, that said I think my critters are of genius level! they know if they leave the ones that are growing they will have a bumper pea fest!!
    I have never heard of cow peas do they taste like normal peas? are they a hybrid?

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

heather, they are frequently called field peas, or pinkeye purple hull peas

EG