Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer Squash - First Harvest!

Posted by marymilkweed z9 Orlando FL (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 20:23

Thanks to this board's help, I'm reaping my first picking of crookneck squash! I planted four seeds to my 4'x4' square bed 44 days ago and I have several squash fruit on each plant. And guess what, not only is this my first time ever growing squash but I had to hand pollinate the flowers! There isn't a bee in this entire neighborhood. I can't believe it worked, but I have maturing fruit to prove it. Now what do I do about the cucumbers?

EG - I don't know if I will come close to your harvest of 50+ of last year, but I will be quite happy to harvest even half of that.

Also, IMP, the tomatoes don't belong in the raised beds unless the beds are given totally over to the tomatoes and they are planted much further apart. I'm in day 45 with my tomato transplants and they are already 3 feet tall and sprawling over everything. I'm growing Celebrity and I was told they were a "bush" tomato. Well, these plants grew out of Mel's Mix like they were on steroids and there is no taming now! The only fertilizer I gave them was seaweed kelp & fish emulsion until this week when I treated them to a high phosphate liquid feeding. The plants are covered with setting fruit so I don't believe they have been push with too much nitrogen. I'm already planning my Fall plantings, all the tomatoes will be in Mel' mix but in 5 to 10 gallon pots with fence wire cages.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer Squash - First Harvest!

Mary - good for you! I'd send ya some of my bees if I could, 'cause I know the hand pollination thing is a pain. I hope you get plenty of harvest from the planting, I'm going for more this year. 3 zucchini and 3 crookneck for a 4x6 is gonna be interesting!

EG

o
RE: Summer Squash - First Harvest!

• Posted by peel z6 CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 10:36

Mary, how exciting! I just wanted to say that I grew a Celebrity tomato last year in an SWC and it was no bush plant. It grew to be 7' tall!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here