Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cincy_garden

New to this place

cincy_garden
15 years ago

Hi,

Last few days wind has blown my garden and killed most of the plants by breaking their stems. I just transplanted them a week before.

First time gardener here; living in Mason, Ohio (45040). During those days; "wind: From S at 11mph" (source: Weather.com)

my HOA will not permit me to have any kind of wind breakers.

Is this normal in this location? Now, I understood why no one has garden in my community.

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO HAVE A GARDEN??? Bad day.

You can see the pictures here: (close-up & long-shot)

Boxes are located on the west side (of my backyard).

TIA.

Comments (8)

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

What are the seedlings that got bent over? They seem to be in fledgling form now; what about covering them with something as simple as tupperware when the winds get high, although 11 MPH doesn't seem high to me, maybe once they get their legs under them they'll be stockier and hold up better.

• cincy_garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ribbit.

Cauliflower, Cabbage and Kohlrabi got killed by wind.

• cincy_garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can protect them by covering when they are young. But, what if when they grown big? And what if this kind of wind is normal(all time) in this area? May be more wind as well.

Any suggestion... please.

Thanks.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Did you start the seeds? If so, next time maybe put a fan nearby so they are used to some wind. 11 mph isn't very strong wind. If you purchased them, maybe they weren't hardened off quite enough, maybe the fan trick would work for those too?

Last summer, my young (8-10" high or so) plants (corn, peppers, beans, peas) were all blown flat down to the ground and they survived. My little pea plants have had a bit of a shock this week from the wind. I've had the plastic bed cover open more and even off a couple times and it's been a windy week (we had gusts to about 30 mph yesterday). They're ok though. If I don't expose them & toughen them up, they'll never make it when they're uncovered all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• cincy_garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I started them indoor with out having a fan. I did take them thru the hardening off process.

Recently learned that my plants are leggy in search of light. I didn't had any lights indoor and kept them near my window.

So this problem could be related to that.

It is possible that they are weak and couldn't withstand in the wind.

Thanks for all your inputs.

• liisa_rwc
    15 years ago

gar_newbie said....
    "my HOA will not permit me to have any kind of wind breakers."

Will the HOA let you have low profile row covers?
    Mine hold up very well to wind.
    See the link below.. this may spark an idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoop Covers

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I sheltered my peppers (after seeing them blown flat to the ground) by putting a scrap piece of the sheer curtain fabric (what I use for a row cover) clipped to sticks around the plants. It cut the wind for them quite a lot.

For more than a couple plants, I'd try Liisa's method.

• gardener_mary
    15 years ago

I hate to hear that you have had such a hard time just starting out. Your problem was most likely that your plants were too weak to hold up against the wind because they did not get enough light to grow up strong. Light is very important to growing strong seedlings that will grow into strong productive plants. Weak plants have a hard time surviving wind, lack of water, over watering and attack from pests, so they don't have much chance.

If you are not able to give seedlings sufficient light you may be much better off buying transplants. You will have a much better chance of getting good produce if you start with strong, healthy seedlings.

Good gardening, Mary

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!