Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally Finished Raised Bed

Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (roselady@ptd.net) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 21:01

Since I had no idea of what the heck I was doing, this took several weekends to complete, LOL..

It's cedar boards on top of stone landscaping blocks. Total depth about 20 inches. Next time, I will not mix materials; it will be either all stone or all boards. Getting the boards to sit right on the stone was a pain, and it still was not as perfect as I would have liked. My back told me after a while that it was good enough though, so I finally listened.

My big pot of homemade compost that I was making for the raised bed was a bust; I had been saving coffee grounds all winter and throwing them into a big pot of dirt, only to find this weekend that it had become home to a colony of pavement ants. I didn't want to add ants to my raised bed (although I know they might find it eventually by themselves), so I dumped out the beautiful compost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally Finished Raised Bed

Well, I think you did a great job on it. It can be a real challenge to get pavers level, and I did more than 400 back in October. Whew! Talk about a challenge...

Anyway, composting is kinda tricky until you learn how to do it - but then it becomes easy with the right ingredients.

EG

o

Thanks, EG. I've seen some of your amazing projects.. A "great job" from you is praise indeed!

Lois in PA

o

Planted up the raised bed with heirloom tomatoes and cantaloupe. The cantaloupe is not growing as fast as I'd like, but hey, if it doesn't work out, I will know what not to do next year.

o

Lois,

It's hard to tell from the images but it looks like your toms are about 6" apart If so, you are giving a new meaning to Square Foot Gardening!

Good luck.

Mike

o

LOL, Mike, no, they are a foot apart.. I marked off 1 ft squares in the bed and planted only 1 per square. But they ARE looking a bit crowded now...They just looked so TINY when I planted them! Probably next year I will mark off the half-foot and only plant them every 18 inches. My next project for a weekend coming soon will be to install a 6 ft trellis next to each row of tomatoes and see if I can get the Florida Weave method to work for me. Thanks for the good wishes. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here